Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PC Fans for cooling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PC Fans for cooling
    Posted: April 29 2013 at 11:08am
Due to the way my tank stand is setup there is very little air flow. I have a small hole in the back where the electrical hooks up, and three small holes in the top back for plumbing. In the past I have ran a small PC fan to push air out of on hole in the top, and it did seem to be sufficient for the little bit of moisture. Since then I added a skimmer to the sump/refugium the moisture seems to be a bit more, and it was not keeping up. Anyway, I purchased and installed 2x 120mm PC fans and a converter with the proper connections for PC fans. Since then I am noticing a little better moisture control, but since my furnace and AC have not been running since they were installed the moisture seems to still be on the high side. I hope that once I kick the AC on it will subside. I'll post pictures later, but thought that I would share this since the power adapter was the nice find.

Here are the links to what I purchased.
Coolerguys 100-240v AC to 12 & 5v DC 4pin Molex 2A Power Adapter
Cooler Master 120mm R4 Computer Case Fan (R4-C2R-20AC-GP)
SilverStone 120mm Fan Filter with Grill FF121B (Black)

Fan Exhaust (outside view)

Fan Exhaust (inside view)

Fan Intake (outside view)

Fan Intake (inside view)

Edited by WhiteReef - April 29 2013 at 9:11pm
----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2013 at 11:20am
I have been needing to add some sort of fan to my stand and this looks exactly like what I need! Post some pictures when you can of how you installed them!
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2013 at 1:08pm
Is your stand completely closed in underneath? If so you need to bring as much air into the stand, air intakes, as your fans exhaust or they won't work at optimum cubic feet per minute they are rated for. So say each fan pulls 20 cfm and you have 2 fans, you would need a 4" intake to move 40 cfm at .10 static pressure. Sorry i'm a HVAC tech and I tend to get technical. A 5" hole will allow 70 cfm. I'm positive this would take care of your high humidity problem. Pm, if you need more help. Just went and looked at the fans. They are rated at 69 cfm each max. So at say 120 cfm you need a 6" intake with the 2 fans running. Hope that helps

Edited by laynframe - April 29 2013 at 1:15pm
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2013 at 1:22pm
Yes the stand is completely enclosed with the exception of the small 3" holes for the electrical and plumbing. I positioned one on each side with the intake fan near the bottom and the exhaust near the top on the opposite side. I do get a fair amount of airflow, but I'll post some pictures later and it will explain things a little better. Thanks for the feedback.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2013 at 9:15pm
I just posted the pictures of the fans I installed. I used a circular hole saw blade to cut both of the holes (I think that it is 4"). I used masking tap on the outside to prevent splintering and such when I cut the holes. After that I just attached the fans and covers with screws, and attached the power adapter. It was really easy to install. I am not sure if I want to tape the connections, but at this point I am not as I am waiting to see how things go.

Edited by WhiteReef - April 29 2013 at 9:17pm
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2013 at 11:13pm
That big of a space, you may need to bump it up a bit more... Overkill on airflow usually isn't a bad thing. Make sure the exhaust isn't near unsealed wood or carpet, could get messy
improdigal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote improdigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 7:10am
Nice find...thanks for sharing. Are they quiet? I'm really starting to get tired of the fan noise on mine
Patrick
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 7:32am
They are really quiet. Here is a quick video that should demo that

PC Fan Video

Edited by WhiteReef - April 30 2013 at 8:55am
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
improdigal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote improdigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 8:58am
ERROR:  "This video is private" :(
Patrick
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 8:59am
@phys - the stand is not all that big (18"X24"X36") and there is good flow into and out using the fans, but thanks for the input. Also the exhaust blows directly out to an open walkway and not at any furniture or such, and the walkway is laminate flooring.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 9:01am
I fixed the video, sorry about that.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 1:18pm
Whitereef if that fan configuration doesn't fix the humidity issue, try making both fans exhaust and make a 6" opening to get your full 120 cfm draw. Looks good way quiet too.
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 1:57pm
WhiteReef, that is awesome! Exactly what I had pictured in my mind for my stand! Thanks for sharing!
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 2:22pm
Sweet! I was just talking today with someone about this, then came to the board and saw your thread! Thanks for this! 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic