Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

diy led .. worth it?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sniper1js View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniper1js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: diy led .. worth it?
    Posted: April 19 2013 at 7:38am
Hey everyone just curious to everyones opinion on DIY led . Is it worth it?
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 9:28am
I personally haven't done DIY LED, but the convenience and ability to program my AI Sol is something I absolutely love. I'd say the pre-made fixtures are worth the money...maybe not the new Radion Pros, but I don't know since I don't have experience with those.
chris.rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 9:44am
It depends on what you want to do.

Do DIY LED if you want to...
- Save money
- Have maximum control of color spectra, placement, heat control, LED design
- *Control the LED itself - seriously, I'll post more on this in a second.
- Are comfortable using soldering tools
- Have a working knowledge of electronics
- Either you don't mind having an ugly mess of wires or you have some carpentry skills and can hide the project in a canopy
- Have time, desire and know-how to really fine tune the system

Skip doing DIY LED if you...
- Don't want or are uncomfortable with any of the above
- Don't mind the extra money
- Want a really nice polished looking product
- Want to control the LEDs but don't want to go through the exercise of learning how to do it in a DIY setup

Now, about controlling the LED setup.  Your ability to set every stinking parameter you can think of is unmatched with a DIY setup.  Unfortunately, the more you want to control the more you'll have to learn.  Most DIY setups have a driver for the LED that provides an interface to a controller.  If you have any kind of programming and electronics experience, you can buy an Arduino (arr-dween-o) controller from RadioShack or Amazon for $30.  You can program your LEDs to do - and I mean it when I say this - anything you want to do.

I love Steve's LEDS at www.stevesleds.com.  They use the Philips Luxeon ES LEDs which have comparable lumens output in the 700-800mA range to Cree's.  Cree's have a higher lumens output but at the currents they'd be running at (1-1.5A) I think they'd be too hot so I personally don't go for them.

RapidLED is another great source.  www.rapidled.com

Whatever you choose, let us know!  It's really fun to see what everyone comes up with.
Ils sont fous, ces Romains!
sniper1js View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniper1js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2013 at 8:19pm
With a little help on a few questions I think it could be done. Any one a master at it?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic