Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Newly Aquired Tank = Leaking... Silicone Question.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newly Aquired Tank = Leaking... Silicone Question.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newly Aquired Tank = Leaking... Silicone Question.
    Posted: April 12 2013 at 9:46pm
Just a bit Frustrated got this tank in place, leveled etc.
Filled it up with 120 gallons of water to find it leaking.  its not a main seam which makes it a little better, but it does leak into the overflow and at the time I did not have my bulk heads in place...

so after rushing to get bulk heads in and a few stand pipes I have a half full overflow box...
which really made me wonder about how the other seams will hold up

my question is now that I'm draining the whole thing Angry and plan on running silicone over the top of the existing seams which brand/type would everyone go with?

my plan right now is just the momentive rtv103

unless someone else has a suggestion as to which silicone to use?

Edited by Nick801 - April 12 2013 at 10:42pm
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2013 at 10:18pm

laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 7:57am
That sucks, is that a aquarium creations tank?
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 8:19am
If it is just the overflow that has a small leak. I think your plan sounds suffice. However if you are already emptying the tank might as well cut the overflow out and replace the silicone entirely. Would be just as easy and you would have the safety of knowing if the power goes out it won't drain completely. Then again just adding a shut off valve to your drains could prevent that as well.
Elite-Aquatics View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elite-Aquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 10:09am
Nick, its not a good idea to put new silicone over old silicone, it won't bond very well at all. Best thing to do is remove the whole interior sealing bead with a razor blade. After you do that use making tape to mask off your new interior seam and apply the new silicone.
Premium aquarium filtration!
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 10:17am
Originally posted by Elite-Aquatics Elite-Aquatics wrote:

Nick, its not a good idea to put new silicone over old silicone, it won't bond very well at all. Best thing to do is remove the whole interior sealing bead with a razor blade. After you do that use making tape to mask off your new interior seam and apply the new silicone.

As far as inside the tank there is no silicone so its just glass to glass so planning on running a bead maybe 1/4 - 1/2 an inch just really curious what silicone people would use... and where to buy being that grainger is closed today?

Edited by Nick801 - April 13 2013 at 11:06am
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elite-Aquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 10:30am
Is it black or clear silicone? What brand of tank?
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 10:54am
The tank has black silicone...

but still wondering if I should go out of my way for a specialty silicone? or just keep it simple?

reefnfeef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefnfeef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 10:57am
Since its an aquarium creations tank, isn't it still under warranty?
aaaaaaaaaaaaaannd.... I'm broke
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elite-Aquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 11:17am
Nick, I am not aware of anybody locally who stocks black silicone other then Grainger. I would hold off till Monday and get the right stuff.
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 9:55pm
Hey nick you can give me a call 801.548.5201
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2013 at 6:05pm
It isn't the silicon seal, It is the lower overflow flange. This is  super easy 15 min Fix then will be ready to fill. And yes reefnreef This Aquarium Is still under warranty Thumbs Up

Do not add a silicone (bead) to the corner joints as this is not needed and will also void the Warranty.

Edited by Aquarium Creations - April 20 2013 at 6:07pm
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2013 at 7:58pm
15minutes...after the 4 hours of filling and emptying and trying to dry the tank Evil Smile  but its all good now. 

I did silicone over the corner joints  so I guess that's that
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic