Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Monthly raffle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ClownFishAddict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Monthly raffle
    Posted: January 10 2013 at 11:45pm
I think it might be fun for some raffles here. anyone else?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2013 at 11:58pm
Could be something like equipment, or gift cards to our LFS if we could get the LFS on board it would be great advertising for them.
Ryanscott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryanscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 12:02am
i think that would be cool but how would they do a raffle online ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 12:18am
Originally posted by Ryanscott Ryanscott wrote:

i think that would be cool but how would they do a raffle online ?

Where there's a will there's a way. I am sure there is a way to do it.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 6:48am
What's the benefit to an online raffle over an in-person raffle (where you can pick up your stuff when you win) that we normally do at our monthly meetings?
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 7:40am
Also keep in mind that, since we are based in Utah, we have to follow Utah law regarding raffles / online 'gambling' -

and the rules are very restrictive compared to most other states.

Definitely not as simple as just setting something up via the website...

Edited by BobC63 - January 11 2013 at 7:41am
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 8:15am
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

What's the benefit to an online raffle over an in-person raffle (where you can pick up your stuff when you win) that we normally do at our monthly meetings?

Many members are not able to go to the meetings like myself. WinkBig smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 8:27am
Originally posted by BobC63 BobC63 wrote:

Also keep in mind that, since we are based in Utah, we have to follow Utah law regarding raffles / online 'gambling' -

and the rules are very restrictive compared to most other states.

Definitely not as simple as just setting something up via the website...

But what would be the difference between having it here or at a meeting? I don't see the difference.
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 8:35am
I know for one we cant sell raffle tickets online. That is against Utah Gambling Laws. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 8:40am
ok nevermind, I did not know that. That makes no sense to me. why would they allow it in person but not on the internet? this should make it in that dumb law book lol

Thanks Disneymania
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 8:40am
Yeah, if my memory is correct, the MWRF group wanted to do it for the Reef Fest and found out it was basically illegal to conduct an online raffle - even as a non - profit organization - according to Utah law.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 8:43am
Thanks BobC63 and Disneymania. at least I tried lol.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 8:46am
Yes, CFA... Utah has some very odd laws regarding 'gambling'.

Even on things like Bingo, for example.

In Utah to run Bingo you have to serve food at the establishment (with all the proper food permits, of course), and then charge customers only for the food and 'give away' the Bingo cards with each meal purchased, rather than run a conventional Bingo parlor where customers just go in and buy cards and then play Bingo.

And the Bingo 'prizes' cannot be cash; they have to be actual material things or gift certificates. No cash prizes allowed as that would be illegal under Utah state law. 

Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 12:45pm
I run a weekly Texas Hold'em tournament at the Point After sports bar. The bar offers $100 to the winner of the tournament (and additional money to 2nd and 3rd place, which is determined by the total number of players). The players are not required to pay to play. They are just asked to voluntarily tip the dealers for their services (That's how I make my money). The bar benefits from having extra people in the bar buying food and drinks. The players get to have fun playing Hold'em and have the chance to win a cash prize. The way this all works legally is that you can't require a purchase in order to win the prize. IE: Buy a lottery/raffle ticket, place a wager, require a buy-in. A person could walk into the bar and play for free and have just as much chance to win as anyone else. That satisfies the law since there is not a requirement to pay to play. This style of tournament is being used in around 20-30 bars throughout the state.

In order to do a raffle legally you'd need to do it in a way that didn't require a purchase. There would have to be an element that left it open to play for free.

Here is the Utah Code on the issue: http://le.utah.gov/code/TITLE76/htm/76_10_110100.htm
21G Reefer Nano

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Shayne Shayne wrote:

I run a weekly Texas Hold'em tournament at the Point After sports bar. The bar offers $100 to the winner of the tournament (and additional money to 2nd and 3rd place, which is determined by the total number of players). The players are not required to pay to play. They are just asked to voluntarily tip the dealers for their services (That's how I make my money). The bar benefits from having extra people in the bar buying food and drinks. The players get to have fun playing Hold'em and have the chance to win a cash prize. The way this all works legally is that you can't require a purchase in order to win the prize. IE: Buy a lottery/raffle ticket, place a wager, require a buy-in. A person could walk into the bar and play for free and have just as much chance to win as anyone else. That satisfies the law since there is not a requirement to pay to play. This style of tournament is being used in around 20-30 bars throughout the state.

In order to do a raffle legally you'd need to do it in a way that didn't require a purchase. There would have to be an element that left it open to play for free.

Here is the Utah Code on the issue: http://le.utah.gov/code/TITLE76/htm/76_10_110100.htm

That sounds great but unfortunately in utahreefs case that would not work. great for a place of business like that where the customers come to play and buy drinks and stuff but on here it would not pay for itself. We would need a guaranteed income to pay for the items being raffled off. But that is some good info to know. Thanks.
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 1:26pm
Thats interesting Shad. 

We do raffles all the time and they are great. Its the online part that is a beast. Paypal will hold our money if they see us doing it. I know someone here has had that happen to them!

Jeremy
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 1:29pm
Yeah, I couldn't think of a way to make it work. I just figured I'd put the info out there in case someone came up with a good idea.
21G Reefer Nano
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 1:32pm
If they do Please pm! We are always looking to do it over the internet, but they have gotten the laws pretty much locked down and tight on that! And Paypal is a beast with it! 

jeremy
Jeepkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 1:39pm
Over on a Jeep forum i was on we used to give prizes away for POTM winners. Our on site vendors would volunteer to give a prize away. Not sure how that would fit in here but.just thought i'd share. I do know they stopped giving away prizes like over a year ago though. Dont remember why exactly.
Brian.

"It's a Jeep thing!"
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 3:14pm
This is something we've (club presidency) has been thinking about for a while. You might take a look at what we are starting at the Feb meeting: http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61370&title=wmas-and-ocean-conservation

Edited by Summertop - January 14 2013 at 3:15pm
===========

Shawn Winterbottom
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic