Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scuba Diving Honduras

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scuba Diving Honduras
    Posted: August 25 2012 at 6:36pm
Last week, my husband and I went to Utila, Honduras for their first annual scuba diving festival. Utila is a very small island north of Honduras, and is near Roatan. We stayed at Utopia Dive Village (and it was nothing short of a true divers utopia!)

In order to get there, we flew out of SLC, had a layover in Atlanta, and landed in San Pedro Sula, Honduras. From there, we took a charter plane to Utila, and then we took a boat to the village's dock. We then had a truck ride through the jungle to the actual village. Needless to say, it was rather difficult to get there...with total travel time about 18 hours.

In 5 and a half days, I got in 16 dives...and several of those dives were with a fever of 101 (yeah, I got some sort of bug on the trip.) My husband managed to hit 20 dives.

The #1 coolest thing we experienced was bioluminescence. On a night dive, we turned off our flashlights. As we moved through the water, it lit up in the most amazing display. Glowfish darted around as well. We also saw an octopus in broad daylight, fully spread out and crawling over the reef. We saw several eagle rays and sting rays.

Enough yacking...here are some pics! (BTW, these are not the highest res pics...sorry.)

Edited by ReefdUp - August 25 2012 at 6:37pm
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2012 at 6:39pm

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2012 at 6:40pm

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2012 at 6:48pm

Electro4112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Electro4112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2012 at 6:48pm
Wow sweet ...
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2012 at 6:49pm

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2012 at 6:57pm
These three aren't mine, but they're pictures of me. (Thanks to Tertia/Winston for the photos!)

larseb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larseb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2012 at 7:42pm
That makes me so jealous.... I want to do stuff like this someday.
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2012 at 8:01pm
Beautiful Shots. Any idea what the black and white fish is?
More Picts would be cool.Thumbs Up
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2012 at 8:06pm
You saw Garden Eels, how cool!!!
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2012 at 8:20pm
That's awesome, sounds like a great adventure.
Josh M.
Phone: 406.471.1334
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2012 at 12:01am
The black and white fish is a juvenile spotted drumfish. They are one of the crown jewels of the diving world, so we were very lucky to find several.

We also saw huge fields of garden eels. They were fascinating to observe in nature.

I'll post more, but I took about 10 gigs of photos that still need editing.

Thanks for looking!!
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2012 at 12:06am
You look so cute in your retro wetsuit.  Nikki, the late 70s are calling and they want that wetsuit back.

Glad you're almost home safely.  I can't wait for the pictures and dive stories.

Fat
February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2012 at 12:19am
That's not my 1970's farmer john wetsuit!! I just dove in a skin the whole week. Water temp was 86 on average....down to 84 on our deep dives.

Looking forward to seeing you too! Go to bed. I'm not going to call when we get home. I'll just get Foxy tomorrow.
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2012 at 3:04pm
so jealous.... so COOOOOL!
"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."
phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2012 at 7:59am
Awesome pictures.  I will be diving in Belize in November.  If you have any pictures or recommendations for a good dive shop please let me know.  We will be on a cruise ship so I will only have 1 day there.

Rick
John 3:16

93 GAL. Cube, 8 T5's, Elite Aquatics sump

phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2012 at 8:00am
Awesome pictures.  I will be diving in Belize in November.  If you have any pictures or recommendations for a good dive shop there,  please let me know.  We will be on a cruise ship so I will only have 1 day.

Rick
John 3:16

93 GAL. Cube, 8 T5's, Elite Aquatics sump

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2012 at 8:31pm
I'm sorry, but I was in Honduras, and the cruise ships to Belize did not venture anywhere near where I was (in fact, there were no cruise ships to our area at all). Good luck though - you should have a great time. There's a ton of life in that area!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic