Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Greenhouse aquarium

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2005 at 12:42pm

Just got back from Washington and was able to do a little collecting. Since this system is going to be a cold-water system this fall, I was hoping some of these animals and algae could survive warmer waters for several months.

Here is a small anemone which is doing great. I collected maybe 8-10 anemones and all are open and looking very good.

I got about 8 of these little land crabs to go in the mangrove refugium. They are very active and acclimated great.

Here is the tank with lots of algae. The big one is a cold-water species so im hoping it can survive the summer (i think not though).

There is also a moon snail at the base of the algae in the above pic. It has a black shell and black body.

The water is always murky with phytoplankton growth. It never gets too bad but the water is never crystal clear. I recently bought several filtration devices that I may use to clear the water up.

Fluidized sand filter

Skimmer

Not sure if im going to use this UV sterilizer, but it would sure help with the water clarity.

Water temperature has been farily easy to control so far. The low every night is 72 degrees and the high is about 78 degrees. I have turned the ventilation system off on several warm sunny days to see how it effects the temperature. Greenhouse air temp would rise to 100-110 degrees and water temperature reached 82-84. This gives me optimism on keeping the temperature fairly low during the summer.

Edited by BananaTropics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2005 at 9:16pm

A pic I took today. I have left the aquascaping up to the eel. I think its doing a good job

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2005 at 10:54pm
What happened between May and August?
Has the summer been murder on this tank?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2005 at 11:32pm

I thought it was going to be hard to keep it cool with it being near 100 degrees and in full sun. Surprisingly, i dont think it got warmer than 83 degrees the whole summer. With a fan blowing on the water, the temperature generally ranged from 74 to 79 degrees daily.  (although I do have water volume working for me)

Between May and Now... well a lot of the pictures in my last may post are from June and July...i just edited them in. I was trying to get seagrass and different macros to grow. Some did really well, others didnt.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2005 at 11:37pm

You can actually look at the properties of the pictures to see when I uploaded them.

BTW Mark, are there still those Tessalata eels at MSM?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2005 at 3:27pm

Just for comparison.... Night and Day

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2005 at 3:47pm

Can I come again and take some pics?

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2005 at 4:01pm

Sure,

Edited by Adam Haycock - February 15 2008 at 11:09pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 5:13pm
6,500K Iwasaki on left, 10,000K XM on right

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 5:20pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic