Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plumbing a Sump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plumbing a Sump
    Posted: January 02 2012 at 9:31pm
After much procrastination my wife and I are ready to get our 180 ready to go.  We have the sump, pumps, skimmers and everything else we need except the plumbing.  To be honest plumbing is our biggest weakness, even household plumbing projects usually end horribly wrong but we want to build this ourself so we know how everything is setup and are comfortable with our system.  So at this point we are hoping to get advice and tips from our friends on this forum. 

We have researched plumbing a sump and are leaning toward going with the herbie method (or a variation of it).  We would have one main drain with an emergency drain that would go straight down into our sump and two independent returns that would flow up through our other overflow (one is all down, one is all up).  Checking out bulk reef supply we would like to go with their products (a gate valve, some unions, some ball valves and schedule 80 pipe). 

Curious your thoughts on this or any other tips?  This is in a high traffic area so silence is important and we want to be setup not to flood.  Our sump is oversized so that should help. 

Should we use slip connections or threaded? 
Do threaded need any glue? 
What is best glue to use?
Are check valves worthwhile or just make sure the height on the drains at the appropriate size?
Are people using the herbie method or is there simplier methods that keep it silent?
The hole in the tank is 1.75 inches, the bulkhead we had that came with it is 1.5 and fits it well, the pipe that was with the overflow kit is 1 inch.  Should we use 1" pipe, is there any reason not to?  The question may sound dumb but before I buy a bunch of stuff I want to make sure the sizes are right.
I saw a plumbing schematic that showed an "excess flow" pipe which split from the uptake line and went back into the sump.  What is this for and is it necessary? 

Sorry for the 20 questions, I appreciate any feedback you can offer.  If it is too long to type a reply please send me a PM and I can give you my phone number. 

We will be starting a build thread shortly. 

bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2012 at 7:24am
I really like the Herbie Overflow but unfortunately most stock tanks don't come with enough holes drilled to pull it off very well. You solution of using one overflow for supplying the sump and one for returns will probably work but you will be sacrificing surface skimming on which is one of the benefits of dual overflows. Additionally one overflow will be full of water that is basically not circulating but a stagnant place in the tank. One other option depending on your location and the type of stand, canopy you are using would be to run the returns up and over the back side of the tank. This would allow you to use both down tubes for the Herbie. If you have a canopy over the tank it will be invisible to the display but if you are running an open top you would see the pipes coming over the back rim.

Another option would be to have the back glass drilled for the returns. There are tons of options so think it through before you start.

As for Threaded VS Slip pipe I usually use slip with clear PVC glue. If you clean the pipe well you don't need to prime the pipe with purple primer because there is very little pressure on the pipes. Threaded pipe fittings are good for inside the overflow box so you can easily disassemble the down tubes for service without taking apart the bulkhead fittings.

Stay away from check valves. They are prone to failure and have been the cause of many a flood. A well designed plumbing system shouldn't need any check valves as the sump should be able to absorb all the extra water when the pumps are stopped. If there is more water in the system than the sump can handle you will have a flood at some point if you rely on check valves to keep water in the tank.

There are several other methods of keeping the tank silent. I also like the Hoffer Gurgle Buster for example. The benefit to the Herbie method is redundant drain lines as an added protection against flooding. This isn't completely necessary but in the absence of a backup drain you should frequently inspect the drains for blockage by debris, snails ans what not.

The one thing I don't like about the Herbie method is putting a valve on the drain line and adjusting for silence. It's OK when you have a redundant drain but I would never block the drain in any way without a backup drain should the valve become blocked.

I would use the same size pipe as the bulkhead fitting. If 2 drain lines come together make sure they empty into a line that is big enough to handle the flow of both drains (A larger diameter pipe than the drains).

Splitting off of the return can be done to supply water to other equipment like Media Reactors and such without having to purchase a separate pump. Generally you want all the flow in the display as you can get so it's not necessary unless you have an alternate use for the water. If you think you may have a use for this pressurized water in the future plumb it in with a gate valve and you can easily add to your system later.

Looking forward to seeing your build. These projects are the most fun part of the hobby for me. Almost as soon as I finish a project I'm looking for another one LOL. You're doing the right thing by asking questions before starting so ask away, think it through and most of all have fun building the tank.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2012 at 8:36am
Originally posted by jdinchak jdinchak wrote:

...Checking out bulk reef supply we would like to go with their products (a gate valve, some unions, some ball valves and schedule 80 pipe). 
...Curious your thoughts on this or any other tips?  This is in a high traffic area so silence is important and we want to be setup not to flood.  Our sump is oversized so that should help. 
...We will be starting a build thread shortly.
Sorry for the 20 questions, I appreciate any feedback you can offer.  If it is too long to type a reply please send me a PM and I can give you my phone number.  
The phone number below is for you to call, even on the spur of the moment when you need a quick answer or opinion. You know, I've listed my phone number there, almost since the creation of this MB in 2002. It's there for all the world to see, but have never received any crank calls.

I don't often read the build threads. What you have done here is excellent, asking specific questions and looking for specific usable advice. This immediately reaches the attention of hobbyists like me.
You CAN do good plumbing if you take your time and keep it simple. I've worked on hundreds of tanks, in addition to ~40 of my own over the years. I hope you find my comments helpful.

The best thing you can get from BRS is the Gate Valves and Bulkheads. Everything else is available at HD/Lowes which, even if it is a little more money adds up to just a few pennies. The convenience of buying locally and being able to run back to the store for that last part or to exchange a part, is worth it.

Schedule 80 PVC pipe? I believe the fittings and valves are classified as Schedule 80 because they need to be thick and strong, but piping should not be Schedule 80. I use Flexible PVC pipe, sometimes called Spa Pipe, for everything except where rigidity is important, like a drain standpipe. For rigid pipe, use Class 200 pipe whenever you can find it. The Class 200 pipe is the lowest pressure rated PVC pipe commonly available and even that is way more pressure than is built up by even the strongest aquarium pumps. The drain piping has almost no pressure.
The best reason to use Class 200 pipe is that it has a larger inside diameter, allowing more water to flow through with less resistance.

Union fittings may seem nice and professional but are best used only for large pumps and/or in tight places. Otherwise, if a pump needs to be removed, simply close valves and cut the pipe with enough room on both ends to use a coupling to glue it back together. What pump is purchased or planned?

The use of a gate valve below an open drain with an alternate emergency drain is the best and quietest method ever devised. It was used long before "Herbie". The addition of a good cleanable screen to keep the drain from clogging makes the drain system infallible. If i can find the pic of my screen and drain setup I'll post it at the end.

Should we use slip connections or threaded? 
Glue-able Slip connections definitely.
Bulkhead fittings are best when they are slip outside where the pipe is glued in and threaded inside for standpipes and return plumbing that can be easily removed. Inside the tank it's okay for threaded connections to leak a little so there is no need to make them real tight.

Do threaded need any glue? 
No, never glue a threaded connection. Use Teflon tape, wrapped many times if necessary, to get a watertight fit. Caution - bulkheads are made of relatively weak plastic - Do not overtighten or use too much teflon tape.

What is best glue to use?
I use purple primer and grey medium bodied cement, even on Flexible PVC pipe. There is a method to gluing PVC pipe. (I used to work in the commercial irrigation sprinkler business, so i can tell you a lot about gluing pipe. I'll try to summarize it here.)
 1. Measure twice. Measuring is not always with a tape measure. Smile I place the pipe and fitting in their approximate positions and cut one end, then position them again and cut the other end of the pipe or leave it a little longer to be cut after one end has been glued in place. Doing a dry fitting to see how it fits together before gluing is a very good idea. Oh and if using a hack saw, clean off the burrs of plastic or if using a plastic cutter, I smooth down the raised edge at the cut. This ensures the pipe and fitting slide together easily.
 2. Use primer and cement on both mating surfaces.
Primer prepares the joint to accept the cement and create a solid bond. Soften both the pipe and the fitting surfaces with a circular light swipe of primer. Primer behaves like gasoline. It wants to flow all over to cover the entire surface. I tap the brush on the edge of the can to throw excess primer back into the can. A drip of primer running down the pipe looks messy and is a waste.
 3. The purpose of the cement is to allow the pipe to slide easily into the fitting and to fill the gap between pipe and fitting. Follow the primer with a light spread of cement on both surfaces. As the pipe is pressed into the fitting, the cement in the fitting will roll just ahead to fill in the gap where the pipe ends. The cement on the pipe will fill in the gap where the fitting ends.
 4. A final 1/4-1/2 twist of the pipe inside the fitting will spread the cement filler, ensuring that water will not flow out along a straight scratch which may have occurred as the pipe was slipped into the fitting. Wipe off excess cement leaving a bead around the joint edge.

Are check valves worthwhile or just make sure the height on the drains at the appropriate size?
Check valves should never be used. They will fail. The proper placement of one or more return lines as close to the water surface as possible, breaks the siphon and ensures that a minimum of water can flow back down to the sump/Refugium.

Are people using the herbie method or is there simplier methods that keep it silent?
This is the quietest and yet simplest method ever. It can allow for a huge amount of flow through the overflow. With an alternate design of the return, this can make in-tank powerheads obsolete. I would be happy to share more about this, if you like.

The hole in the tank is 1.75 inches, the bulkhead we had that came with it is 1.5 and fits it well, the pipe that was with the overflow kit is 1 inch.  Should we use 1" pipe, is there any reason not to?
I could guess, but would rather have more info first. From your description this is a dual overflow setup, but what are all four hole sizes? Please feel free to show a pic of the tank..

I saw a plumbing schematic that showed an "excess flow" pipe which split from the uptake line and went back into the sump.  What is this for and is it necessary? 
Unnecessary. A gate valve on the exit side of the pump is all that's needed. It allows fine tuning of the water flow. Restricting the flow on the exit side does not harm the pump at all. A possible use for a split off from the main return would be to run a little water through a UV Sterilizer.

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 03 2012 at 8:53am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2012 at 5:10pm
Hi-

AS most of your questions have been answered line by line I will chime in with a few recent experiences that may help your planning.

I looked into the Herbie and the Durso method, and decided that for me that Durso made more sense and I made one that I am very happy with.  I have a 57 gallon rimless and its in the living room.  I installed my return in the same overflow as the drain so it is a T and comes out both sides of the overflow to a Y LocLine fitting on each side, this allows you to direct one of the fittings down and keep the other up so if the pump stops you do not siphon (you were talking about doing this as well,but in a different manner, but consider locline and get 4 flow directions from 2 returns).  I played a very long time with my Durso and for noise, it actually seems like the biggest concern with the Durso is the bubble noise in the sump, so I built a nice silencer (kinda a reverse durso) in my sump and the whole thing is nearly silent.  at 10 pm with the lights down and the kids in bed, I can sit right next to it and read or watch TV quietly, I can hear that its on, but its quiet.  My stand originally had an open back, DO NOT DO THIS, you need a fully enclosed stand if you want it quiet.  Mine has been nicely modified.

Flow considerations, a Durso with a 1 inch return can handle probably no more than 700-800 GPH.  If you make a Durso, use a 2 inch down pipe to the bulkhead (inside of the tank) if you have the room, this also helps for noise reduction.  Since your dealing with larger holes you should look up their capacity, but be careful to differentiate between capacity as a siphon (which is not how a Durso works, or a Herbie if my memory serves me) and capacity as an air water mix, its really really different.  Use the biggest bulkhead you can fit in your holes, and the largest diameter pipe insider the tank.

I glued my durso into the bulkhead, because I never thought to ask and I didn't want a leak.  This pisses me off now, not because I probably will ever have to change it, but really.... if I ever need to I am going to have to get a new bulkhead and then do it right (not a big deal and its just a few dollars in PVC... but slip fit in the tank is ok).  GLUE EVERYTHING THAT IS DRY.  

Hot blue glue without primer is OK for reef.

I think SPA flex is cool, but its pricey, and unions with hard PVC are nice and easy to use to remove things like the down pipe with the filter sock so its easy to get it off etc.  In terms of the recommend for thin wall tubing.  I guess its up to you, but your going to pay for it (its much harder to get) and the tubing is a bit more fragile to stress.  I am very happy with using Schedule 80 and would use it again on any build in my future.  If you needing the extra capacity that a 1/16" diameter (or whatever) change in wall OD makes to fit the water through your pipes without flooding something, I would say your destined for a disaster.  I like nice strong pipe thats cheap, widely available, and with tons of fittings at my local store.  If I need to fix it, I can at almost any time of the day.  

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler -A.E.
57 Gallon RImless build in progress check the thread before if becomes boring and just full of nice pictures of colorful coral!
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2012 at 6:05pm
Schedule 40 pvc from home depot is stronger than class 200 but way cheaper than schedule 80, and in my opinion the way to go. You should use primer and glue, and i would use the herbie method, Ive had both styles and herbie is best and use a gate valve.
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2012 at 2:18pm
We have two overflows with 2 holes each, both at 1.75 in diameter (the tank came with two bulkheads, those are at 1.25 or 1.5 I believe, the pipe in the bulkhead in the overflow was 1", it all seemed to fit very well).  I think we were going to have one side be the drain and the other the return.  Then use some loc-line on the return to spread the flow around. 

I bought plenty of power heads so it will get great flow in the tank, not concerned about using the pump.  I like the tip about using excess return pump pressure for other items.  We have reactors and eventually a UV going in so that would be great to use.  Great tip. 

I won 2 pumps at the reef fest (lucky me), one was in the 976 gph range (don't know the brand) and the other was in the high 400's low 500's.  I know they need to be the same to work right, I would like to use both, one as the main return and one as the independent emergency one, will have to see what happens.  If not I can match it.  I think the 976 should work well for getting the water up, we had the stand built a bit higher (I think it is 44").  You do have me thinking now about the pressure a 1" can handle if we went herbie route, I didn't consider that to be an issue before hand. 

We will be using gate and ball valves as protection, convenience and tuning.

Most likely will go sch 40 or 80, but will make that decision when ordering.

We do not have a canopy on this tank, thought about having the returns over the back, but the wife isn't really fond of that look right now. 

Your input has been fantastic, I appreciate the time and effort for your responses.

We are going to finish drawing up our plumbing design and I will start our build thread with some pictures as I am sure seeing visually our tank and our equipment will help. 

Thanks again!!!
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2012 at 3:00pm
Just to clarify. I posted sch 80 for my build but i think its 40. sorry. just the std pvc pipe they have reams of is what I used.
57 Gallon RImless build in progress check the thread before if becomes boring and just full of nice pictures of colorful coral!
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2012 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by rufessor rufessor wrote:

...I played a very long time with my Durso and for noise, it actually seems like the biggest concern with the Durso is the bubble noise in the sump, so I built a nice silencer (kinda a reverse durso) in my sump and the whole thing is nearly silent.  at 10 pm with the lights down and the kids in bed, I can sit right next to it and read or watch TV quietly, I can hear that its on, but its quiet.  My stand originally had an open back, DO NOT DO THIS, you need a fully enclosed stand if you want it quiet.  Mine has been nicely modified.
Awesome to read that your added design on the drain exit quieted the Durso that much.Thumbs Up

I agree with making larger pipe, like 1.5" or even 2" pipe for the drain standpipe and lower plumbing, bushing it down to go through the bulkhead, as we would say in the sprinkler business, Even if it has to go through a 1" bulkhead, the larger flow of water will get pushed faster through the short narrow bulkhead than if it was running down a 1" standpipe. The way i look at it, whenever larger pipe can be used it should be to ensure easier flow of water.

Pipe diameter and wall thickness is a big deal.
Here is a comparison:
- A 2" pipe has a cross sectional area of about 3.14 square inches. This allows roughly 4 times more water to flow through a 2" pipe than a 1" pipe which has a cross sectional area of about 0.785 square inches
- A 1.5" pipe has a cross sectional area of about 1.77 square inches. This means roughly 2.25 times more water can flow through a 1.5 " pipe than a 1" pipe.
- The difference in inside diameter between 1" Schedule 40 and 1" Class 200 PVC is about 0.14". This means that 1" Class 200 pipe (0.785 square inches) can handle 1.35 times more water than 1" Schedule 40 pipe (0.580 square inches).

Oh, and the water flows very fast down a straight 1" pipe in the Herbie style. It's just like a siphon. If it wasn't draining water from inside the overflow and without a valve to throttle it down, it would completely drain a 100 gal tank in less than a minute. A Gate Valve is almost a necessity because it's extremely difficult to make a fine adjustment to a PVC Ball Valve

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 05 2012 at 10:23pm
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2012 at 10:49pm
A couple of points on your build.  First it's not heart surgery and no one will die if you do it your way and it's not working efficiently. You can always modify it.

Schedule 80 is generally the grey PVC pipe, but sometimes the maker will run schedule 40 in grey too.  So color isn't everything.  Look at the label to be sure.  It'll say on the part (most of the time). There is no reason to pay of schedule 80 pipe or fittings.  They are not needed in a reef tank.  I would stay with Schedule 40 PVC over any of the class 200 or 120 pipe because it resists cracking better.

If you have a choice I'd solvent weld all fittings.  Some things obviously have to be threaded (like bulkheads) but solvent welding is a much more secure way of doing a joint.  I love IPS 711 grey solvent cement and it must be used with a primer.  For the pressures tanks have you might get by with some of the all-in-one products that have the primer in them, but I'd still use primer.  The procedure is as follows: prime the male part, prime the female part, reapply primer to the male; then move to the cement in the same order, male, female, male again.  Don't use too much or it gets all over the place. The cement must be applied while the primer is still wet.  Insert your fitting and give it a 1/4 turn.  Hold it together for 30 seconds, then wipe off anything that has run.

I also am a big fan of ball valves over gate valves.  Gates will erode at their tip as water and sediment pass through it and eventually won't seal.  Ball valves seem to go forever.

Lastly, make a list of your parts and hit one of the MAJOR sprinkler supply houses.  They have the best selection, can get what they don't stock in a day or two and will give you the best price.  If you have a question they can help you find a solution.  Some 16 year old kid at the box store who got his job because his uncle is the manager might not have the correct answer, but he'll answer anyway.

I like the plumbing part, it's like tinker toys to me.  Take a day and do it!
Chad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2012 at 10:53pm
You know how the internet has Wifi. 
We need Plumbingless Sumps to be invented now!!!
So who is up for the challange??
What?! You pooped in the refrigerator, and ate the entire wheel of cheese?! I'm not even mad.... That's actually amazing!
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2012 at 10:53pm
awesome. I completely agree and its nice to see those numbers. The
Herbie is fast and quiet as a siphon has less air... my comment vis pipe diameter was that you should OVER design your system. If the max capacity drain through your pipe is nearly what your return is pushing your screwed. to be polite about it. But if overdesign also falls into the cheap stong pipe then there is no need to look at other options. Sounds like the original poster has this all in hand, and I really enjoyed Marks post! Read it and use the information its excellent to think it over before you buy much less glue anything!
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2012 at 11:00pm
You are saying that the pump you plan to use for the Return is rated for 976 gph? Is that at 5 feet of head pressure? We need to talk more about that. How about giving me a call at the number below?

Plumbing the tank is very standard if you choose to go with a Durso style setup, a drain and a return in each overflow would work just fine. From what rufessor said, if I were in the area, I'd be asking if he wouldn't mind my visit to check out how he did it, to admire his setup and "talk story". Smile

If you choose to use the siphon/Herbie style, and if you are not keen on the idea of return plumbing coming up over the back of the tank, then I'd suggest using the large holes in both overflows as drains, each with it's own gate valve. Then use one smaller hole for the emergency drain and one for the Return. Again this is something we can talk about much easier over the phone.

Another thing I would suggest is to ask other hobbyists here to see each overflow style in operation and discuss it while you visit. More than anything we can write here, this will give you the information you need to make the decision that is right for you and your 180. It's loads of fun to visit other hobbyists and see their pride and joy,... not their children, their tank.Wink
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2012 at 11:03pm
I need a bigger tank so my kids can swim and I can enjoy both at once!
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2012 at 11:22pm
LOL lmao
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic