Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

$@%^*#& Snails and Crabs!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $@%^*#& Snails and Crabs!
    Posted: June 07 2011 at 3:40pm
So in one of those moments where I am not sure which side of the line I am on I decided to hook my return pump up to my overflow for a second to clean it out . When I kicked on the pump nothing happened and then Bam ! Out shot six hermits and 3 snails along with some macroalgae all at high pressure.
Last year at this time my overflow got clogged and my tank overflowed about 10 gallons. So I gave this a try and surprise, surprise looks like I beat it to the punch this year . Figured I would post this A. As a helpful way to clean out your overflow and B. I am curious if this is an issue unique to me?
(307)679-7898 Phillip Douglass 75 Gallon Reef Tank
ninja_brandon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninja_brandon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2011 at 3:55pm
Is your overflow tube wide open?  Mine came with a plastic cap that has vent like openings to allow water but not large matter through.
GentlemanBean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GentlemanBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2011 at 4:04pm
If you don't have a strainer on your overflow I would get one like this.

I like this type because it has a large surface area that isn't likely to be clogged even by a large snail or clump of algae. Beyond that, it is helpful to have unions at intervals along your drain lines so you can disassemble and easily clean out buildup.
ninja_brandon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninja_brandon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2011 at 7:00pm
Exactly what I have! Tongue
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2011 at 9:34pm
man! my snails and crabs get into everything! if it's wide enough for them to get in, they'll get in there. one hermit got stuck upside down on my koralia once in between the slits that protect the fan from damaging other creatures in the tank. drove me nuts!
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic