Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

18" cube

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jacobse1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacobse1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 18" cube
    Posted: March 27 2011 at 3:39pm
Well, it's been two years since I took down my tank, but now I've been bit by he bug again. My tank build began with a Christmas gift of an 18" acrylic cube aquarium. Here's the breakdown.

Tank:
18" cube: 3/8" thick acrylic. The rear 5" are partitioned into 3 compartments, Overflow on left, refugium in center, and return on right. So the display is 18" wide by 18 inch high by 13 inch front to back. = ~14 gallons.

Stand: Oceanic 30g cube stand.

Filtration: Tunze nano reef pack with skimmer and mechanical filtration. The skimmer has been OK. The air inlet actual became plugged with hardened salt and I had to disassemble the unit for cleaning. The air hose needed to be shortened and was hard to get reattach (having someone around with small hand is a must). I got a fair amount of skimmate durring cycling but not much now.

Flow: Maxijet 1200 for return. 2X Tunze 6055 set to alternate flow and tuned down to 4W. I get some detritus collection in the back left corner of the tank, but this makes it easy to vacume out during water changes.

Tech Aspects: Heater in return compartment, controlled by AC3. I also monitor pH and ORP (running 8.22 and 415).  Tunze omolator for top off. Four gallon (16" high, 16 inch deep, 6" wide custom ATO reservoir in stand. I am planning on keeping SPS and had the center rear compartment set to hold a Tunze calcium automat reactor (overkill for this tank, but I had it from previous tanks), but the unit took up the whole compartment and restricted flow too much through the back compartment, so I switched to a refugium with chaeto and gracilarias.

Aquacaping: Bare-bottom. My first foray here- I've previously had DSB but wanted to maximize the display area in the small tank. 25lb Bali Alor nano live rock. The display is pretty full, and I had to put ome rock in the fuge/return compartments.

Livestock: Tailspot blenny, flameback angel, fire shrimp, assorted CUC.

Lighting: work in progress, I placed an order for 2 12.3 pico lamps in october. It sound like I could be receiving those next week. Currently just have a small 10k = actinic PC fixture. It's sitting on a temporary acrylic lid that will go away once the real lights come in.
125 g reef
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic