Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Frag Tank Hiatt Style

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2009 at 8:09am
I had the opportunity to see Burt's setups over the weekend. If you did not know he built these himself you would think his tanks came from the manufacturer with the filtration systems and shelving already installed from the factory. Very professional looking and well built Thumbs Up

IMO he must be doing something right - all his corals looked very happy within the Hiatt system environment. And not just "easy" corals, either; All the SPS from the Pink Birdsnest and the ORA Green (my guess) to the Blue Milli and the Monti Cap, as well as his zoas and palys all appeared to be thriving...

Besides his corals, he's got a fat and colorful Red Scooter blenny in the frag tank and a good-sized, healthy looking Copper Banded Butterfly in his nano setup. Neither fish seemed to care that they are supposed to be somewhat difficult species; both seemed quite happy and looked great!

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2009 at 5:13pm

So it's been 3 weeks since reordering the light fixture from a local source in SLC. I called to find out if there was a delivery date and believe it or not they misplaced the order as well. I am done trying to save a few bucks by going the industrial lighting route. These guys love you if your ordering a dozen fixtures but if you only want one they let you slide through the cracks.

I just ordered an AquaticLife 4 tube T5HO with LED Moon lights and the timer built into the fixture from Marine Depot. I ordered it about 3 hours ago and just got confirmation that it has shipped. Baring any other complications I should have the light by the time I return home on Friday.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2009 at 12:39pm
I kind of lost track of this thread but wanted to post an update on the frag tank. I have been very happy with the performance of the built in filtration and the Hiatt system in my frag tank. I am now growing SPS, LPS and Softies in the system.

The Aquatic Life T5HO is working out great. I used their suspension kit to mount it above the tank and it makes raising and lowering the fixture for service a breeze. I particularly like the built in 3 function timer. I was running the lights full on for 12 hours and that proved to be way to much light. After a week all my corals started bleaching out so I changed the configuration of the tubes so that one actinic and 1 daylight lamp lights on each timer. Then I have one set come on at 8:00am the second come on at 11:00am Then the first shuts off at 3:00pm and the second set goes off at 8:00pm. This gives kind of a sun up sun down effect with intense light during the middle of the day. The corals are loving this arraingment.

Here are some pictures of the tank I took this morning.

Full Tank Shot

Frags

Burt

[email protected]
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2009 at 12:44pm
your frag tank is nicer than my display tank!  looks great!

sterling18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterling18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2010 at 1:01pm
Burt, got to see your frag tank yesterday.  Very cool indeed.
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2010 at 10:48am
Thanks Peter, It's filling up too fast. I'll have to try to sell off some stuff this weekend. I need a little cash for my next project the "Tricked Out 20 Gallon".
Burt

[email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic