Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dead SCWD & Maintenance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dead SCWD & Maintenance
    Posted: April 02 2008 at 11:48am
Has anyone ever had a SCWD come apart inside on them?  I noticed the other day that my scwd was pushing water from one side only.  Upon tearing it out with my upper returns, I discovered that one of the gears inside has come loose, I'm wondering if the company offers any warranty on them?  Now I like the scwd, but when I re-plumbed the returns with a T fitting and 3/4" return lines, I had to actually close the return line ball valve to control the amount of water I was returning until I re-tuned the drain pipes.  The scwd definitely eats a lot of flow.

Recently I've been noticing a decrease in my skimmer output, and that the number or amount of bubbles in my skimmer was decreasing.  I poured clean water down the venturi and it helped a bit.  Today it wasn't performing hardly at all. 

I ended up pulling the skimmer completely out of the sump and discovering that salt had formed a hard cap that was blocking the venturi in my skimmer--a soak in some strait ro water cleaned it out, but just a reminder to make sure you do clean things every few months for best performance.
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic