Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adam's Nano Challenge 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
GARFVolunteer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARFVolunteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2008 at 10:36pm
A repeat but since I was too late for the last nano challenge...

I think a small rimless tank(20 gallons or so) with a single 175/250 watt halide pendant hanging over it would look awesome. It would be a seamless acrylic with a center overflow to the sump The return lines would be plumbed so the output is at the base of the overflow.  The aquascaping would be live rock in the center covering the overflow and plumbing.  The sand bed would be about 1-1/2" of fine aragonite and I would ensure I screened the sand to ensure all of it was very fine.

The stand would be made out of a hardwood to match the decor of the room.  It would contain a small sump with refugium, skimmer, return pump, and exhaust fan for cooling.

I have been getting different types Acanthastrea from GARF lately to grow out for them. I have been particularly impressed with the acan dunkins and the micromussa in particular. A few acans with colorful zoanthids and mushrooms covering the rock and a couple of clams in the sand would top it off nice.  The low flow return from the sump would be ideal conditions for the lps and zoanthids.

If it was going in my house, the lovely and gracious Monica would require some fish.  I am not really up on what fish to keep in a nano but I do remember seeing some awesome gobies in some if the nano reefs on the tour.

Now to make all this work right, the tank needs to be placed in the center of the room with 360 degree viewing.  My sister has a perfect room in her house for it.  I have never liked her  pedestal with bronzed naked lady on it.  A rimless reef would be so much more artistic and classy....

Thanks,

Scott
President Idaho Marine Aquarium Society
A fair and biased reef hobbyist
"How do you make poor people rich by making rich people poor" Rush Limbaugh on Obama taxes
bannshy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bannshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2008 at 12:33am
I would like to have a nano with a red, a orange, a green, a purple Carnation and some gorgonians also a few sun polyps and one feather Star.
the lighting would be only for color that way you could feed only phyto Clclopeeze, Rotifers. the colors would be georgeous
Pinner Reef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinner Reef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2008 at 1:51am
I had another Idea today as well... The tank of death.

Get a blue spotted octo,lionfish, black spiny urchin, scorpionfish and the list could go on from there.

PS I'd give major props to the person willing to maintain this tank with the standards that nanos requrie.

-pinner
In SLC Near Downtown
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2008 at 1:54am

This is a nano that I would like to take care of.

It would be really nice if the fuge could look like this.
And for the display side I think that many different stock lists could work but I think it would be cool to stock with just one or pair of fish, one type of coral and some snails to clean up all around. The contrast and simplicity of the visual would make it striking. I would choose the type of fish and coral based on the final setup of lights and such. I haven't thought that through yet.
H200 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2008 at 9:07am

Any Fans of Nightmare before Christmas?

I think it would be cool to do a theme tank around the movie.
you could arrange a pile of rock to form the arch Jack is walking on with the moon behind him,
You could put a arrow crab in to represent Jack (his arms and legs remind me of an arrow crab)
a Medusa worm looks a lot like the snake that eats the Christmas tree..

Frog fish kinda look like Oogie Boogie (sp?)

There are so many different charters in the movie, I am sure there are more that look like fish....

randy

Edited by H200 - February 15 2008 at 9:09am
210 gallon glass aquarium
90 gal Refuge.
900Gal Pond
Skittles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skittles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2008 at 8:48pm

Get some branching rocks and plant them in a DSB like a bunch of trees. Cover the trunk with Zoas and the top with GSP. Get some microalgae to look like undergrowth. Then get some very flamboyent fish to be the tropical birds.

24G Nanocube
Kevin View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2008 at 9:35pm
Along the lines of a camo tank -- Get some sort of supposedly color changing animal ( cuttle fish, octopus, sea horse?). Then on the nano tank put a thin sheet of white paper covering all but the front. Then for light you would illuminate the tank with a different color each day -- Red, Yellow, Blue, Orange and so on. See if the color changing animal takes on the color of what the tank is being illuminated with each day.
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2008 at 10:10pm
A deep sea heat vent tank.  Put some of the worms etc that inhabit the deep sea vents in the tank and heat it to 180-200 degrees. 

Barring the difficulty of doing that a tank dedicated to Polycheates.  Fan worms of all kinds, Bristle Worms, Spaghetti Worms, etc.
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2008 at 10:11pm
Also, I still think a Stomatopod tank would be ultra-cool.

One like this:

Edited by Will Spencer - February 15 2008 at 10:12pm
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2008 at 10:24pm
transparent aluminum
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2008 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by Skittles Skittles wrote:

Get some branching rocks and plant them in a DSB like a bunch of trees. Cover the trunk with Zoas and the top with GSP. Get some microalgae to look like undergrowth. Then get some very flamboyent fish to be the tropical birds.

I love this idea. A canary blenny would probably work. My bicolor blenny "perches" on rock work.
CrimsRayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2008 at 1:38am
Originally posted by Adam Haycock Adam Haycock wrote:

transparent aluminum
Only if you are planning on housing humpback whales.  Wink
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan
sshm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sshm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2008 at 1:40am
24g nano aquarium, open top. place some live rocks in a semi circle so that about an inch or so of the rocks are outside the water. On these exposed areas there will be some miracle mud on which some semi tidal seaweed will be grown, a powerhead placed near the top of the tank will produce waves and a float switch on a timer will simulate tides (will need some plumbing from an external water reservoir with same salinity as the tank). In the tank itself along the top portions of the rock there will be some photosynthetic corals like xenia, zzoanthids etc. Along the bottom of the tank and on the sand there will be filter feeders and some low light corals. I will name this tank the Nano Bikini Atoll and will use it for testing nano thermonuclear weapons for fun.
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2008 at 2:02am
lol, we have a winner.

Very nice sshm. Win
Jhamb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2008 at 11:03am
hahahaha I love that ideaLOL
Jeremy

40B INW

USAF
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2008 at 10:19pm
I want a tank with feather stars--and their commensal shrimp that live on them, the hard part would be keeping the feather star alive.  Or any other commensal relation, urchins and shrimp or bangaii cardinals, cucumber and shrimp etc.

The goby tank( I know it's already been mentioned)--all different colors/types of clown gobies (there are at least 5) mixed into a 24 gal nano with one or two huge sps like trees, and the gobies would be the birds

A pure sun polyp tank--lighting would only have to be enough to see them, and have all different colors arranged in groups of three on different shelves through out the tank--yellow, orange, black, then orange black green, then yellow green black etc.  Throw a pair of fire shrimp in just for some contrasting colors.  Then build a housing for the tank in a stylized sun shape preferably sphere shaped around the whole tank, and call it the sun in the ocean.
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2008 at 10:25pm
I would like to set up my nano as my new Gold stripe maroon clown raising tank. It is going to take a few months to even get this going.

I need to start my phyto culture *need donatation to seed this*
I also need a rotifer start * anyone have this*
I am also going to need fry rearing tanks, air bubblers, 2 liter bottles Tons!!!.
a shop light with a plant bulb. Small heaters. etc etc.

Raising clownfish is hard work!

AND there is a catch. anyone who donates anything I need will get a free Gold stripe maroon when/if I can raise some!!!!!!!!!!
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2008 at 10:25pm
also need 10 gallon tanks.
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2008 at 11:28am
CLOSED!
Thanks again to everyone who participated.  I'll be printing off all these posts to read... it will take a while.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic