Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adam's Nano Challenge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
GARFVolunteer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARFVolunteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2008 at 8:07pm
Adam,

I know I am too late but, I think a small rimless tank with a single halide pendant hanging over it would look awesome. It would be a seamless acrylic with the overflow to the sump in the center with the returns plumbed so the output is at the base of the center.  The aquascaping would be live rock in the center covering the overflow and plumbing.  The sand bed would be about 1-1/2" of fine aragonite and I would ensure I screened the sand to ensure all of it was very fine.

I have been getting different types Acanthastrea from GARF lately to grow out for them. I have been particularly impressed with the acan dunkins and the micromussa in particular. A few acans with colorful zoanthids covering the rock and a couple of clams in the sand would top it off nice.  If it was going in my house, the lovely and gracious Monica would require some fish.  I am not really up on what fish to keep in a nano but I do remember seeing some awesome gobies in some if the nano reefs on the tour.

Now to make all this work right, the tank needs to be placed in the center of the room with 360 degree viewing.  My sister has a perfect room in her house for it.  I have never liked her  pedestal with bronzed naked lady on it.  A reef would be so much more classy....

Thanks,

Scott
President Idaho Marine Aquarium Society
A fair and biased reef hobbyist
"How do you make poor people rich by making rich people poor" Rush Limbaugh on Obama taxes
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2008 at 11:34pm
Did Scott say "a single halide pendant hanging over it would look awesome"? Shocked

Mike

dustponds10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2008 at 11:47pm
Thats what I read maybe our eyes are playing tricks on us.  Not sure.  I guess he might be sick or something,  Or maybe just maybe, its a long shot, but maybe he is changing his mind??????Wink
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2008 at 11:47pm
I can picture it in my mind, with one of those drop from the ceiling round halides from coralife.  It looks awsome just like Scott describes.Cool
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2008 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by dustponds10 dustponds10 wrote:

Thats what I read maybe our eyes are playing tricks on us.  Not sure.  I guess he might be sick or something,  Or maybe just maybe, its a long shot, but maybe he is changing his mind??????Wink

I think he's finally gone mad. I think he needs to go kayaking so he can think straight again.LOL

Mike

dustponds10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2008 at 12:56am

you are probably right

ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARFVolunteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2008 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Mike Savage Mike Savage wrote:

Did Scott say "a single halide pendant hanging over it would look awesome"? Shocked

Mike

Adam did use the word challenge right??? 

Since the tank is rimless I needed to go with a small round pendant.  If I knew of a way to effectively get a VHO setup into a round pendant hanging from the ceiling I would have said to use that.  Since I have never seen one, I had to go with an inferior MH just to get that classy look...

See I am flexible... mh can be used in barns, over sumps, and in pendants over aquariums when it is allowable to sacrifice the light quality internal to the tank, for the desired over all look of the entire system.

Thanks,

Scott
"How do you make poor people rich by making rich people poor" Rush Limbaugh on Obama taxes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2008 at 2:31pm
Whew. You got out of that one!LOL

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARFVolunteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2008 at 3:55pm

Mike

LOL had the response ready when I hit the send button for the first post.Wink

I would really like to set one of those up some day.  Will keep working on Janet.  The naked lady just needs to be replaced...

Thanks,

Scott

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2008 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by GARFVolunteer GARFVolunteer wrote:

LOL had the response ready when I hit the send button for the first post.Wink

I figured that. I almost said that in my last post!

Mike

Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2008 at 4:52pm

Mike

I don't know, seems to me anyone who was serious about VHO lighting would find a way to make it work. Wink
jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2008 at 12:15pm
I know I am too late also but...

I was reading up on pistol shrimp (as I have been trying to find my RandalliConfused, any help here would be appreciated).  Anyway, I found an article that stated pistol shrimp will take out a Mantis.

So, my nano idea (which I may try btw) is a "David and Goliath" pistol vs mantis shrimp.  Or you could call it the "Gladiator arena" nano.

I also like the Berghia and aiptasia tank but take it one step farther and have an aiptasia refugium to raise food for the Berghia.  And, offer a live rock cleaning service to all the club!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic