Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LBTR vs. Copper vs. LR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
EagleEyez5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleEyez5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 12:17am
Only if we want it to be as dirty as the ocean at that point....

WMAS PAID SPONSOR
jonafriendj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonafriendj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 12:34am
Sad but true.  Maybe we'll have "green" tanks by then.. our halide LED replacements will run off of solar power Smile 
Pleasant Grove
Greenanemone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenanemone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by jonafriendj jonafriendj wrote:

By the time us young dogs get old, who knows... maybe we'll be putting mercury or lead supplements in our tanks Smile 

Maybe McDonald's French Fries would be a great suppliment to our veggie eating friends!
Nobody is perfect! I'm a nobody!
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2007 at 3:49am
Could be. You would have to ask Mark.LOL

Mike

mcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2007 at 11:07am
I some LBTR that I collected last yr. It appears that some of them have other small pieces of another kind of rock withing the greater LBTR piece. I don't know if that makes sense, but it's like there are two different kind of rocks melded together. How harmfull do you think that might be? I basically pulled them off the top of some huge boulders at the top of a hill.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2007 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by dkle dkle wrote:

The link that talked about it was back when I started to get into this hobby; which was around 2004.  I don't have the energy to look this up; but I am sure the old timers on this board would remember this.  I am not making this up; if that's what you are getting at.

This old timer might be able to help here. I'm very serious about cleaning LBTR prior to use in the aquarium, but Copper cannot be cleaned off. Copper was evident in two of the first rocks we collected. BTW that collection spot was picked clean of good LBTR long ago.Embarrassed  The rock had a small area of turquoise color. Copper Oxide is turquoise (blue-green). This hobbyist and I discussed it at the time but in our ignorance later tried using it. After a few months he noticed that inverts, especially coral, were not doing well. He tracked it down to the rock. A few weeks after removal the tank returned to normal.

I have not heard of any problems with this since, but advise everyone to discard any LBTR that have that tell-tale color. This is a pic of copper ore, though just a small section of the rocks had a faint bit of this color.

Edited by Mark Peterson - October 18 2007 at 12:47pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Gahlenfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gahlenfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2007 at 1:12pm
I have 80/20 LBTR/FIJI.  When corals cover the rocks as well as corlaline algae you cannot tell the difference.  Even those with cool structures get covered over.  When people look at our tanks I have not had one person say oooh cool rock where did you get it.  They are looking at the fish and coral.  Now having said that, you get what you pay for.  If I were to buy live rock it would not be at a LFS.  I would order it so it came from the sea to me as much as possible.  My next tank will be setup the same as my last tank with 80/20.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic