Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

THE 2007 REEF TOUR "BLOG" - EPILOGUE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Poll Question: How will YOU be participating in the 2007 Reef Tour?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [2.04%]
5 [10.20%]
11 [22.45%]
1 [2.04%]
30 [61.22%]
1 [2.04%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2007 at 9:35pm
So we close out the Reef Tour and the Guest List reached...4 ConfusedLOLLOL

It was very nice to finally meet Mike & Jeremy in person, however.

So I wouldn't say the day was a total bust; but certainly room for improvement for next year...

Interested to know the "results" others got - in terms of # of guests.

Just spending a few last minutes tonight with the wife sitting in front of the tank... winding down the evening Big%20smile
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2007 at 12:20am
We had about 70.

Mike

WingNut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WingNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2007 at 12:22am
58 here.
W. Nut
210 Gallon Reef with Fish
50 Gallon Sump/Refugium
ASM G-3 Skimmer
Korallin Calcium Reactor 1502
Barracuda Sequence Reeflo Pump
Lights.... Camera... Action
GARFVolunteer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARFVolunteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2007 at 2:51am

It is 1:50 AM and we just arrived home in Boise.  We saw a total of 15 tanks this trip. The TomTom GPS was sure a saver...

Thanks for opening up your homes,

Scott

Edited by GARFVolunteer - October 07 2007 at 3:23am
President Idaho Marine Aquarium Society
A fair and biased reef hobbyist
"How do you make poor people rich by making rich people poor" Rush Limbaugh on Obama taxes
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2007 at 8:12am
Originally posted by GARFVolunteer GARFVolunteer wrote:

It is 1:50 AM and we just arrived home in Boise.  We saw a total of 15 tanks this trip. The TomTom GPS was sure a saver...

Scott
That's an extraordinary effort you guys went through. 700 miles round trip in one day,  that's a LONG day.
I was very happy you guys pushed it to the limit and made it to my house, you guys looked worn out when you finally made it to my house. I was very happy to meet you and your wife and friends Scott and hope to make it up your way next time.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2007 at 10:52am
I had a total of 51 guests.  I think the best thing you can do to pull in a large number of guests is to talk several of your neighbors into also doing it so there are several houses really close by that can also be seen in the same trip.  Unfortunately that is not possible for everyone.  There sort of has to be other people with tanks in your area for that to work.
MrNewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2007 at 11:33am
Our total was probably about 45 or so.   I had no idea what to expect, so we feel like we really had a good turn out.  We started to wonder when we went the first hour with nobody.  Wtih about an hour left it got slow and both my wife and I fell asleep in the La-Z-Boys.  A knock on the door woke us, and it was our neighbors son, duaghter and kids.  They too have a tank, and we talked for some time about tanks, corals, neighbors, etc.  This reef tour has helped us get to know alot of great people better than before.  THANKS WMAS FOR ORGANIZING THIS, please keep it going year after year.
Just a couple of glass boxes full of slimey things
EagleEyez5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleEyez5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2007 at 11:44am
We had over 40 people....with just moving in and not knowing ANY neighbors, we were suprised...non of the people were neighbors, just new friends from the board, as well as some future members of the board.....I can't wait for next year, when everything will be done{until I change my mind and do it all different}..I still need to finish the hood, as well as the closed loop, and the rock work.......wow I still have alot to do......

but for next year, I may have another tank in the front room, as well as a nano in the bedroom.....who knows, maybe a FOWLR as well.....I have all of the stuff to set up another tank right now....do I use it or sell it.....so many questions.......so much water.......and salt......

Edited by EagleEyez5 - October 07 2007 at 11:45am

WMAS PAID SPONSOR
Greenanemone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenanemone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2007 at 12:41pm
I for one must thank EVERYONE who participated!  I would have loved to have visited every single house that was willing to sit at home and show their tanks!  THANK YOU!

I for one was a newbie last year---the reef tour of 2006 sure made me want more.  I soon converted other newbies since(3 more are now in the hobby).

This year, Reef Tour 2007, I brought along somebody else who is getting interested in SW.  Thanks to everyone who I was able to visit, and thank to all you who I never got the chance to see.

YOU ARE ALL TOTALLY AWESOME!

I love the reef tour! 

Ryan
Nobody is perfect! I'm a nobody!
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2007 at 12:56pm
Or first year was in the 40's. Last year was around 200 but that was with an article in the paper about our tanks. This year we ended in the high 60 to low 70's. While we had a handful of members it was amazing to see the "new" investigators that were looking for information and guidance. I believe it is a worth while endeavor and recommend it continues for years to come.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2007 at 11:11pm
I guess I will "wrap up" this thread by saying that - in spite of my own personal superlow turnout I still consider the Reef Tour a "Success" Thumbs%20Up

Just finally getting to meet a couple of WMAS 'regulars' like Mike and Jeremy was worth all the trouble. Thanks again for coming out guys!!!

And (unless my memory is getting really bad) those 2 "Ladies from Magna" were "Mrs." Steve ( from 'BST') and Steve's daughter... and they were my first Reef Tour visitors ever... Clap  Thanks again Steve!

I do think there are some things we (as a Club) could do to make things better next year. Here are some suggestions ("Discuss among yourselves..." Wink):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Have the Tour a little earlier in the year (like Sept instead of Oct)... Why? Well, the weather would probably be nicer, almost certainly drier, and our Tour homes in the more northern Counties wouldn't have to worry about snow like they did this year... in fact, I would suggest the "BBQ" for late August (around the 20 - 25th so it's not too hot out) with the Tour 2 weeks later (around Sept. 10 - 15th)...

2)  Make sure in advance there are no 'major' Utah events the same weekend as the Tour. Like General Conference Weekend OuchOuchOuch. I'm not LDS, but some of my friends are - and the more religious ones don't do anything else during Conference Weekend except the Conference... not even Reef Tours of friends housesDisapprove

3)  We need to do alot more here in Utah County to attract more homes to the Tour. This is not just a "Club" responsibility; All of us Utah County WMAS members (including me) need to recruit more current WMAS members to join the 2008 Tour - and more non-members to sign up and join the Club. I mean, we have Aquatica, Reef Runners, Where's Nemo, Jays Jungle (and a whole bunch of Petco's and PetSmart's)... so you know the support for reefkeeping is plentiful throughout the County. But only seven Tour homes in all of UT Co....? That's just lame ConfusedConfusedConfused There were multiple towns in SL County with a dozen or more Tour homes just in the 1 town!!!

4) How about some level of LFS "sponsorship" of the Tour? In exchange for allowing a nice poster-sized flyer in their storefront window, and maybe a stack of flyers on their counter, a store can be listed on all the Tour media as "an Official Sponsor of the 2008 WMAS Reef Tour..."

I would even go further... you ever see those "raffle" boxes that they have on some store counters? How about a Reef Tour Raffle where we give away a basic SW setup (like maybe a 55g tank / stand / PC hood, small skimmer, heater, maybe a couple of Mjs or Korallias...? Get the LFS to 'donate' 1 item each (or a cash equivalent) and then we 'raffle' it off - no purchase necessary - to some lucky winner (announced) at the October meeting. Better yet, only non WMAS members are eligible to participate in the drawing - and the Club throws in a 1 year free membership! Clap We gain alot of exposure for the Tour (and a new member Smile), the LFS' gain a new customer and good PR for them, too!

The ironic thing about this suggestion is that I would bet the 'smaller guys' like a BST or Urban Aquatics or Ewalds would be alot easier to persuade to participate than the more "mainstream" stores... but I still think it would be a great PR move for the Tour , and the Club - - - and the stores!!!Big%20smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2007 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by tileman tileman wrote:

Originally posted by GARFVolunteer GARFVolunteer wrote:

Scott
That's an extraordinary effort you guys went through. 700 miles round trip in one day,  that's a LONG day.
I was very happy you guys pushed it to the limit and made it to my house, you guys looked worn out when you finally made it to my house. I was very happy to meet you and your wife and friends Scott and hope to make it up your way next time.

I agree with Brad. Thanks for coming down. I wish it could have been longer and that we all had more time to visit. I hope to make it to your tour next year.

Mike

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2007 at 11:31pm
Another "suggestion" (especially if the time of the year for the Tour was moved from Oct to Sept):

Instead of 9AM - 4 PM (7 hours) how about 10AM  - 6 (or even 7 or 8) PM?

Gain an hour (or more) of Tour time, easier to be prepared at 10AM than 9AM (unless you all like getting up at 6:30AM to scrape glass, wipe down salt creep and topoff your tanks LOL), and even at 8 PM in Sept it wouldn't be dark yet - unlike October when it starts to get dark at like 6:30 at night...

??? Question

Edited by carlso63 - October 08 2007 at 11:32pm

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2007 at 11:38pm
Summit it in the recommendations forum and it will be looked at.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2007 at 11:41pm
And Carlso63, We appreciate your hard work and dedication to the reef tour. Its awesome to see people so excited for it.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2007 at 11:54pm
I just put a topic in the "Recommendations" Forum called

"REEF TOUR SUGGESTIONS FOR 2008"

& Thanks Dion Big%20smile!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2007 at 6:13am
Originally posted by Holdencraft 33 Holdencraft 33 wrote:

And Carlso63, We appreciate your hard work and dedication to the reef tour. Its awesome to see people so excited for it.

Absolutely!Clap

Mike

ReefBones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2007 at 10:23am
Originally posted by carlso63 carlso63 wrote:

And (unless my memory is getting really bad) those 2 "Ladies from Magna" were "Mrs." Steve ( from 'BST') and Steve's daughter... and they were my first Reef Tour visitors ever... Clap  Thanks again Steve!

Not a problem! .. the wife went out to check out some tanks .. so I am glad they made it out there ... I wanted to go my self but I was kinda on the tour .. so .. lol 

you have some great ideas! .. I too agree it should be a few weeks earlier when then weather is warm ... and defiantly not on conference weekend! ..

Edited by thebutler4 - October 09 2007 at 10:25am
140 gallon Reef
65 gallon Reef
55 gallon Aggressive

www.thesalttank.com

801-865-6074

"encourage other divers and sea enthusiasts to take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but bubbles"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic