Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Easiest way to move a 10G tank?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Easiest way to move a 10G tank?
    Posted: December 24 2003 at 11:04am
I have to move a 10G tank and was wondering if there is some easier way to do it than break it down into buckets and re-set it up at it's new locations. I've always heard "don't move a tank with water in it as the shifting weight will break the seams". Since it's only 10g is there any way to reinforce the seams and just move it with half to 3/4 of the water still in it? I have to move it about 5 miles, but I think it'll sit flat in my trunk.
Jared Neilsen
Lehi, Utah
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2003 at 11:48am
If it was across a room, then I would just drain it 80% and leave the livestock in it. Then move it and fill it back up. But since this is a little farther, I would box, bag, or bucket the livestock and drain the water until the sand is barely under the water level. Then fill it and stock it once it is placed.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2003 at 1:07pm
I've done this many times. It travels well. Sloshing water causes little harm, it's like a big storm on the reef, but remove the heater.

The water in any container sloshes so much that draining it to half full is best. Also put a bunch of towels around it to catch the splashes. It splashes highest side to side in the vehicle so place it lengthwise in the vehicle so the length is front to back, if that makes sense. The reason for this is that we can usually control the acceleration and deceleration but when going through a gutter the vehicle moves quickly side to side, and the shorter the water can travel in the container the less sloshing. Is this making sense?

Move all rock and coral to the bottom so it's covered with water. If they aren't covered in the 1/2 full tank of course put them in the bucket with the other 4-5 gallons of tank water.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2003 at 8:06am
Thanks for all the help. I took about 60% of the water out and put the few corals and rock that wasn't covered in one of the water buckets, leavening the rest in the tank. I then put the 10g tank on a board and had a friend help carry it out to the car. I had to drive really carefully, but it seems everything has done quit well so far.
Jared Neilsen
Lehi, Utah
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic