Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mercury and lead

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mdawson8931 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdawson8931 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mercury and lead
    Posted: December 20 2003 at 11:04pm
ok, I've mentioned in previous posts about how my tank growth had slowed down, well here is the deal. I lost a thermometer a few months ago and finally found it, in pieces in my sump. Now, Im thinking this could be the cause for my tank slowing down in growth. The weighted pellets are lead and I'm sure the mercury is not a good product for a reef system. The lead has been open to saltwater and I'm not sure about the mercury. I'm doing multiple small water changes. Hopefully that will bring everything into balance.
Mike
Layton, Ut.
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2003 at 12:03pm

I didn't think they sold murcury thermometers for fish tanks. Are you sure it wasn't the red alcohol thermometer? If it was, Im sure your fish had no objections to the break, if you know what I mean.

Adam

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2003 at 1:00pm
I do not know what mercury would do to a fish tank, but why do small water changes? Do BIG water changes, at least 50% if you think the tank is in trouble.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2003 at 6:13pm

I agree with Marcus.  When I read this the first thing that came to my mind was big water change, and then sure enough that is just what he said.  Bad part is that if something is wrong, you don't really know if it was the thermometer.... however the water change fixes whatever the problem is.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2003 at 6:29pm
Thanks Adam!

BananaTropics - what does an Alcohol Thermometer look like? All the ones that I have ever seen have silver looking fluid in the bottom or the small silver beads. Does it look like one of those? I thought both those were mercury, just different types.
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2003 at 8:11pm

If the liquid which climbs up the thermometer is silver, then it probably is mercury.

The alcohol thermometers usually have the little silver balls in the bottom and a red fluid.

A single mercury thermometer has enough mercury to contaminate a 10-acre body of water. Think what it would do to a small aquarium. I doubt it was mercury, because if it were, everything in your tank would probably be dead.

-Adam

Edited by BananaTropics
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2003 at 9:15pm
I think its the alcohol ones that I have seen then. I always thought the silver balls in the bottom were mercury. That's good to know. Thanks!!
mdawson8931 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdawson8931 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2003 at 1:01am
Ok, I would guess your probably correct saying its an alcohol thermometer. I did do a large water change, large being about 40 gal. Its a slow process to see what if any the damage is. Thanks for the advice all.
Mike
Layton, Ut.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic