Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

coraline algae

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2003 at 7:07am
Djangoboots, have you checked out www.garf.org yet? They use VHO to grow just about everything. The tubes they recommend, Blue Moon and Triton are excellent for coralline algae. Since they are not found in stores they must be ordered online and are cheaper than the VHO tubes you would get at the LFS.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ljbs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ljbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2003 at 10:17pm
Mark, Do you still have frags of that branching gargonia?  I would love to have some for my 150 gal.  I do have mh lighting but only on one side at the moment.  The other side of the tank has vhos only right now.  Could you bring the frags to the meeting if you have any?  Thanks  Linda
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2003 at 10:39pm
I can bring those Gorgonia cuttings to the meeting. Are the other two folks that wanted a cutting, going to be at the meeting?

A note about Gorgonia and coral in general. I was at a members home the other day and noticed a yellow-orange, white polyp, non-photosynthetic Gorgonia on the sand. He commented that he needed to get it out and throw it away. I couldn't understand why he would want to throw away a live coral! It just needed to be set in a small hole in the rock or better yet, glued into a hole in a rock.

My point is this. Coral polyps may not be seen extending for days, weeks, or even months, but the coral may still be alive. The polyps may just be extending at night when you're not looking.

I've seen lots of supposedly dead coral "come to life" when placed in a different environment, even in the same tank where just one variable, like water movement past the coral, was changed. Don't throw it out. It may just need more time or different conditions.

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic