Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dust-like algae...?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dust-like algae...?
    Posted: December 15 2003 at 4:11pm

I just started getting a green dust-like substance growing on my glass. If you move your hand past it it swirls off the glass. Not wanting to scrape it with a manget so that it swirls around all over the tank... any other ideas of cleaning this out?

I do use dechlorinated/purified tap water for top offs.

My water tests ph 8.2, Am 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, 76 deg.

Any help? What kind of algae is this?

Thanks!

-Shane

Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2003 at 4:34pm
I get the same stuff on a daily basis. I think it's just a by-product of detritus and feeding your tank. The only way to get rid of it is to scrub it with an algae scraper, and run a skimmer to pull it out of your system. IMO anyway...
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2003 at 4:52pm

I have had the same experience, and if I have my skimmer tuned right it takes a couple days to build back up, then I just clean it off again.  One of those fun tasks everyone else likes to do--play with the algae scrubber.  Except now I have a ton of scratches on my glass inside my tank...  no more letting others play with the scrubber.

ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2003 at 8:12pm

Thanks guys. Glad to hear that it isnt anything critical. I guess I'll just scrub away.

-Shane

ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2003 at 9:00pm
Yes definetly dont be afraid to remove it from your glass.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic