Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

under the sea (calcium test)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: under the sea (calcium test)
    Posted: December 11 2003 at 2:48pm

I got the under the sea calcium to day pretty much looks like Kent Marine turbo calcium so i took 100 kent marine beeds and 100 under the sea beeds and put them in 1gal each container, I then put r/o water to the same level in each container then  i mixed each one and then let them sit for a hour then i mixed them again then i used a salifert calcium test kit and tested each one here are the results....

Kent marine- 426 to 430 PPM

Under the sea-422 to 426 PPM

I think thats pretty close and for the money savings thats a great Deal

thanks to Joh who got me all thinking i figued it couldnt hurt to test it and see

if anyone is interested let me know ...

Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2003 at 3:16pm
Have you tested for any impurities like metals?
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2003 at 4:17pm
good question!!!!!! ill test for copper,iron,mag results coming soon...
[email protected]

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2003 at 5:37pm
All the heavy metals, not just copper, would be interesting.  It would be very interesting to get the certificate of analysis (COA) from undertheseachemicals.  I'm sure they have one or could get one from their supplier.  But I doubt undertheseachemicals would give it out as it would reveal their supplier potentially cutting themselves out of your next purchase...
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2003 at 5:39pm
Jon, is that the same as a MSDS? I wonder if they would give that out? That should give the ingredients right?
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2003 at 5:43pm

It tested

0-copper

0-iron

0-mag

0-phos

im sure just like Kent Marine wont tell you whats in there products under the sea chemicals wouldnt either cause if they did we would make it our self

so far so good .....

[email protected]

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2003 at 5:47pm
Eric, sounds good to me!!
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2003 at 5:51pm

I have 8 pounds left $5.10 a pound

[email protected]

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2003 at 6:18pm

No an MSDS wouldn't be useful here as it would only list the major components.  The metals of interest would likely be in the ppm range.  The COA would most likely lump them together as "Total Heavy Metals < xxxx". 

BTW, there is nothing to "making it".  Turbo calcium is just CaCl2 which is a salt that many chem supply houses sell.  A cheap supplier is the key.  A bulk buy from a chem supply store would be 2,000 - 3,000 lbs.  I know a few places that might sell it, but I've never pursued it because, well, what am I going to do with a ton and a half of calcium chloride .

Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2003 at 6:54pm

Thats alot LOL we could call jfinch chemicals ...

[email protected]

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic