Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vacation changes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vacation changes
    Posted: December 01 2003 at 11:57am
Interesting thing I had happen when I left for thanksgiving.  I turned off my MH and my 2 cooling fans (cause I loose to much h20) over the weekend.  I left my 64 w of actinic on from wed afternoon until yesterday (sun) evening.  I previously had a lot of fuzzy algae growing on everything--including macro algaes.  Well, when I inspected my tank last night, 90% of the fuzzy algae was gone, my various zooanthids had doubled in size and one now has about 40 versus 30 polyps on it.  Just caught me by suprise to see that it helped my tank by not having the MH on for 4 days.  Also took note of the fact that emerald crabs are not strictly herbivorious--he was eating pieces of shrimp that I put in for the clowns.
crazy-sps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy-sps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2003 at 12:23pm

You certaintly like the faces!! 

I am just going to make some assumptions and someone else can pick them apart or validate them.

Fuzzy Algae (is it hair algae?) - either it needed the intense light (I doubt it) or it got used to a certain environment and when you changed it, it died.

Zoos - maybe they need to be a little lower light place. 

Emerald crab - They'll eat anything.  Put a sick fish in there and watch you emerald chase it around.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2003 at 12:26pm
I was having fun with the faces is all.  I am working on getting a lower light place for the zoos...  just need to figure out which one will work best.  Don't know what kind of algae it was...  Mark P saw it, but I'm happy its gone now.
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2003 at 1:14pm
Crazy Tarzan (alot of crazy people around here!), I will guarantee that you already have a lower light somewhere in your tank. Under some rock or maybe just in the lower portion of your tank in the shade. Algae is strange and slight changes in conditions can cause dramatic changes in its ability to survive or thrive. What is the MH that you're running in it again? Also, correct me if I am wrong, but a change in algae is representative of a nitrate/phosphate condition. Could it have been a mere cycle in the tank? How has it affected your macro?
In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2003 at 1:22pm

175 10 k ushio,  I do have some lower light areas, but am trying to figure out how to get 'more' of them, since many are also high current areas.  My macro just slowed down for growth over the weekend.  I was having notable macro growth daily with the mh on. 

Think mabye that the algae was getting enough light to thrive and overrun the other stuff, and that by getting rid of it's primary energy source for several days caused it to loose momentum?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic