Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

300g humidity problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
KeoDog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeoDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 300g humidity problems
    Posted: November 24 2003 at 5:44am
I have a 300g tank built into the wall. The only access is from the front. The back and one side is an outside wall in my basement. With the cold weather now here I am having major condensation problems on those walls. What will work best and cheapest to get rid of the moisture? I am evaporating about 3.5 gallons a day. Would a bathroom type ventilation fan, mounted on the end wall where the problem is the worst, work or am I going to have to buy a dehumidifier? And if so how big? What do all you big tank people do?

Kevin Kunz (Sandy, UT)
300g reef

"A trade by which one gains and the other loses is a fraud."   Ayn Rand
crazy-sps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy-sps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2003 at 7:55am
One suggestion for you, this may be a lot of work, is to get a condenser from a A/C unit.  That will remove the humidity.  But I would do something before you start getting mold growing.  Good luck and let us know what you do and how it works.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2003 at 11:26am
Glue and caulk a styrofoam insulation panel directly to the outside wall so that moist air cannot get behind it. If you are already running a fan to remove heated air/push in room air, just have it run continuously which will keep the area drier. The fan does not need to be on the outside wall end to do the job, IMO
This is my 2 cents.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2003 at 12:18pm
I just bought a 50 pint dehumidifier. $100 (e-bay). I have the same problem. 120 gallon evaporating approximatley 1.5 gallons per day.
KeoDog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeoDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2003 at 2:37pm
Have you hooked up the dehumidifier yet? Let me know how it works.
Kevin Kunz (Sandy, UT)
300g reef

"A trade by which one gains and the other loses is a fraud."   Ayn Rand
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2003 at 3:26pm
Hasn't come yet.
I'll let you know how it works. I've got some large single pane windows above my entry door. Last year they sweat so badly that the wood swelled and I couldn't open my door!
If it doesn't work - I'll be desperately seeking second opinions ...
crazy-sps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy-sps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2003 at 9:44pm
I just saw a dehumidifier at NPS (the freight place near the airport) for about $60.  They had two of them.  I do not know much about them, but it may be worth a trip up for someone who wants one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic