Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The new tank......20G

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bubblenbrain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubblenbrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The new tank......20G
    Posted: November 17 2003 at 2:24am

well....I am takin by suprise......I know I am jumping hte gun.....but I sat today and put the finish canopy on the new tank....and have the moonlights going to slow any stress. I took reading today and was amazed at what I saw: Ammonia had dropped from 1.5 down to .12(Tetra  test kit) and as ecpected my nitrate levels are a little high....but wow!! I guess the small inconvience of putting all the LR in a trash can helped. I lost one of my trident clam last night though...that was hard to come by:(( and my Lobophsyillis isn't looking too swift today...although it did feed tonigh......hope to put some pics up before the algea starts to take over the tank...I hate algae stages.....but so far so good.....

well....night from acroos the world.....and I wish I had a ready surplus of sand and rock here in Japan....I would have started a larger tank when I got here...oh welll....the 1200g tank will just have to wait   speaking of.....does anybody have experience with using pool equipment for Aquaria....i.e. skimmer/filter/and pumps?

Tiny bubbles in my head
:) what was the count again....1, 2, 8, 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubblenbrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2003 at 4:09am

well...here are some pics of the almost finished project:

right now only the moonlights are running.

one of my oci's in his puple BTA

Can't wait to post pics with the 20KK MH

Tiny bubbles in my head

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubblenbrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2003 at 12:51am

well...first day for the MH.....and here are some pics

With the lights off in the room.....blue color because MH is 20000K xfm 175W

The hood and the tank....sure wish I had another knob:P

Left front..one healthy purple tipand it hostee (clarkii), buttons polyp, and plate coral and the only surviving maxi from the earthquake that broke my 55g

Right front...DIY OF for Prism, bleached Purple tip with two juve ocerilla, purple shroom, and multi color shroom, jasmine coral, star polyps colonies on the bottom LR...and lobopyhllis

it turned out pretty nice....

Tiny bubbles in my head
rstruhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstruhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2003 at 6:47am

It sure does look nice

When I was in Japan (Nishiwaki) I found the people willing to help and very kind.  But, then they were looking to learn English, and I knew a little Japanese.  I understand the locals up north (Where you are) are not the same as the ones I dealt with.  Good luck and have fun over there!

What kind of lights are next?

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2003 at 7:14am
You are really having fun with these pics, aren't you! It's pretty cool for us to see your tank from the other side of the globe!
Have you tried using fill-flash to enhance the colors in a pic. Sometimes the resulting pic needs to be darkened afterwards on the computer, but it allows a view of the variety of color in the tank, rather than a 50 feet deep blue view.
Thanks for sharing your work.

The sand filter commonly used for pools is a variation on fluidized bed filtration. Fluidized beds are used in aquaria. I think one may be called the Sea Storm, which has tank water pumped up through an inverted cone filled with special silica sand.

Fluidized beds are used extensively in commercial applications for biological breakdown of wastes. The process is also a way to grow bacteria to make products we use in everyday life.

FYI - Citric Acid, an ingredient of many prepared foods, is made by bacteria in huge tanks.
A more unusual product, Xanthan Gum, (the x is pronounced "z" like xenia) comes from bacteria and is a thickener. It gives a little body to juices and sauces. Sorry if this is boring, but it's my business clients that make these products, including antibiotics to treat infections... bacteria at work again!
Well, time to get to work, finding those people that grow bacteria!
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic