Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

adding utah sand...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: adding utah sand...
    Posted: November 07 2003 at 2:09pm

question, can I make a deeper sand bed by adding utah sand on top of my aragonite reef special, and then just waiting for nature to take it's course, and letting it settle down to the bottom?  Just one of those sheer curiosity questions.

Nate

Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2003 at 3:07pm
I really don't see why you couldn't. The utah sand is pretty fine and will settle where it will. I am not sure of the difference in grain size, but to me sand is sand.
In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2003 at 3:48pm
It may take a while and cuase some clouding. The clouding could take a while to clear up. I do not recomend this if you have livestock in your tank right now.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

bullitt4932 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bullitt4932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2003 at 7:32pm
if you add it make sure you wash it and get it wet then add it to the tank, that way it will minimize the clouding effect
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2003 at 10:34pm

Nate, I just picked up a bunch that I will be adding to my 125 this weekend. I will let you know if it still has a clouding issue. I would not think that it would be any more so than bagged sand as long as it is washed properly.

But if you're not needing much sand, it might not be worth the time, trip and effort. You might be better off just buying a bag.

In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2003 at 11:36pm
I have some I will give you. Just bring your own container . Also As dirty and as fine as this sand is makes it very difficult to wash .
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2003 at 6:55am
I like to put sand on the top of our sand bed right before the tour,
or before we have a party where lots of people will be looking at our
tank. I have a long 1 inch plastic tube, from the LFS. I twisted a piece
of paper into a funnel and taped it to the top. Then, it's easy to pour
the sand right to the botton of the tank. I found that if the bottom of
the tube is touching the sand bed, I can place a fine layer of sand on
the top of existing sand bed. It doesn't add a cloud until I remove
the tube. The haziness is gone by the next morning.

I probably do this 2-3 x's a year, which gets enough live sand to
start a new tank every once in a while! And for the tour, our tank
bottom looks like the beach in Figi!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic