Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Balance Blocks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Balance Blocks
    Posted: November 05 2003 at 9:06am

Has anyone used Balance Blocks and if so do you have an opinion if they work?  I believe they are made in Springville and are sold at a couple of fish stores here in Utah Valley, I bought some at Fish4U on Saturday also.  They are dissolvable blocks that you put in your tank.  They dissolve slowly and claim that they maintain a your Ph and also contain other supplents that are necessary.  They are very easy to use but I also wonder how good they really are.  I end up dosing on top of the blocks because I don't think they are sufficient but was wondering if anyone had used them and if they had any opinions.  Thanks!

Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2003 at 12:24pm
I thought about using them before, but then figured that it was just too easy. Plus, how would the dosage be controlled? I would also take a look at the ingredients to see what the concentrations are per dose. But if it works, hip me!
In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2003 at 2:06pm
Do they claim to maintain pH in a salt water tank?
Typically, a marine system does not need help maintaining pH unless you put in too much of an additive.
My first impulse is to tell you to stay away from those blocks, no matter what they claim to do, but before I make a rash judgement, maybe it would help to know how your system is set up.
And as Carl suggested, to know what is in the blocks.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2003 at 2:53pm

There's a lot about this product that I don't like.  First, who knows what the block is made from?  Do you know if your tank needs that particular element?  There's no way, even if it the product works as advertised, that the dosage can be regulated.  I prefer to be in control and know what is being added to my tank water.

At first blush, I'd say at best it's no better then a handful of aragonite sand.  At worst, it could "poison" the tank.

Anyone have any opinions of HBH activated carbon?  The price is nice and the product "looks' and reads good. 

I wonder if HBH (located in Spingville) could be convinced to talk to the club about their products???  Maybe then they could explain what their balance blocks are made of and what benefits we might see from use of the product.  Give 'em a chance to tell me I'm full of crap .

kini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2003 at 3:00pm

Here is a  link to the balance blocks http://www.mops.on.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/products/WTHB-300 03.shtml?E+scstore- but they just say that there are 71 vital trace minerals.  If you actually buy them they have a list on the packaging.  My system is just a 75 gallon reef.  I usually add calcium had been adding buffer but since I have been using the balance blocks (usually add a block with each water change) my Ph has stayed at 8.2.  I think the blocks are mostly buffer and then some low level additives - as Carl mentioned there is no way to control the dosage.  Thanks!

Here is another link

http://www.petsmart.com/products/product_10804.shtml?bfinfo= iPS_pet_supplies

Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2003 at 3:36pm
The first website states,
    "Balance Blocks are a unique aquarium additive that replenishes calcium and a total of 71 trace minerals to salt water and reef aquariums. As Balance Blocks slowly dissolve on demand, vital elements are released into the aquarium and made bio-available for use by fish and the vast number of organisms present in a reef aquarium. Balance Blocks will help stabilize pH at an ocean level of 8.2 - 8.3. Tests have shown aquariums with the addition of Balance Blocks have improved development, health, and vitality. No marine aquarium should be without the micro-nutritive and replenishing effects of Balance Blocks."
    A couple of interesting thoughts... what is the binding agent? Also, how does it stabalize the PH? What will happen to excess elements? Will they precipitate if the level is too high?
In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
kini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2003 at 4:02pm
I like jfinch's idea of having them come talk to us...especially since they are so close.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2003 at 4:44pm
Kini, did you have a pH problem prior to using the blocks? If so, if you can share some info about your tank, we can probably figure out why it occurred and determine a permanent solution.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic