Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A couple newbie questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tw!tch321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tw!tch321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A couple newbie questions
    Posted: December 13 2019 at 4:59am
Hey everyone, so I have a couple newbie questions I'm hoping you can help me with.  I am running a 40 gal breeder tank with vertex 60 somatic sump and skimmer.  My questions are 1, how can I reduce noise of water going into the sump?  And 2, is my skimmer supposed to have this bad of a smell lol.  And if so is there ways of helping with that?  Thanks in advance. 

Kris. 
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2019 at 7:00am
Can you share a couple photos?

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Tw!tch321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tw!tch321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2019 at 7:15am
yes when I get home in a little while I will take some pictures and post them for you guys. 
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2019 at 11:58am
1:Most drain noise is usually due to air being introduced into the drain pipe. Depending on what drain configuration you have there are ways to make most of them quieter if not silent with a few changes.

2: yes skimmate stinks bad. Most skimmers you can't smell while they are running but you sure do smell them when you open them to clean the cup.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
millsu2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millsu2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2019 at 2:21pm
The 'Herbie' setup works great for me. My tank only has two drilled holes, so the return goes over the rim of the tank. I ran with a standard durso setup for 15 years or so and not only was it noisy, but I also had a hard time keeping the air bubbles in the sump from making a mess. I highly recommend this if your system is capable of it and I wish it hadn't taken me so long to find this fix.

The siphon flow rate does vary a little so it occasionally needs adjustment, but it's worth it. I have a DC return pump, so I used a cheap ball valve and make the adjustments with the pump. If you have an AC pump, I'd get a good gate valve so you can make the tiny adjustments needed. The regular ball valves are hard to make small adjustments with.
Herbie Overflow Diagram
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic