Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Overflow for 30G cube

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overflow for 30G cube
    Posted: October 12 2005 at 8:25pm
I am in the planning stages of a 30G Oceanic Cube.  I want to put in a 15G refugium/sump below the tank.  This tank doesn't come w/ any overflow or even drilled for that matter.  What would be the easiest way to put in an overflow?  I want to try and avoid one of those hang on overflows that require a U-tube because I have heard they can cause floods pretty easily.  Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks.
60g LPS Cube
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2005 at 8:31pm
Have Eric drill it for you when you pick up your light
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2005 at 8:36pm

Now this probably sounds stupid but after he drills it how do I incorporate an overflow into that?  Is there some kind of kit I can get or just glue some kind of overflow into the tank?  Would external or internal be better?  I have no idea when it comes to plumbing as this will be my first setup that requires more than just an HOB filter and powerheads.

60g LPS Cube
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2005 at 8:43pm

You could just do a hole at the top and connect a strainer, thats what i did on my 180 gallon. It can be a little noisy but it doesn't take up lots of space. Im pretty sure you can just use acrylic to fabricate an overflow box if you want. Eric might even be able to do that for you (he does very nice acrylic work).

fj40fax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fj40fax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2005 at 10:10pm

There is a post about jfinch's durso that takes very little space inside the tank, but is quiet as can be.  I think it is the slickest setup I've seen for an overflow.

Fax

Fax 318-3632
90g 2x250W 14kK MH
Sump, Fuge, G3, UV, O3, ACIII
Pleasant Grove, UT Across State Street from the Purple Turtle
Adjustments and Massages for Frags!
bruiseandy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruiseandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2005 at 9:59pm
Ogden UT
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2005 at 10:23pm

I tryed Marks Idea of a durso pipe and it works AWSOME!!!!!!!!!! Will post picts in a minute. MSM did the drilling and overflow work. It has one in each corner. This is a 29g tank.

I personally hate overflow boxes. Mostly due to bad experiances of my own.

Edited by Holdencraft 33
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Rhine Lenhart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhine Lenhart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2005 at 10:24pm

I have an over flow with that u tube and i have not had a problem in 3 years.  it really the way you set it up.  for details let me know.

Rhine

55 Gal Reef.
30 Gal Fuge.

957-9197
2007 presidency
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2005 at 12:15am

Just something to think about, but what would happen if Holdencraft 33 removed the corner overflow acrylic pieces, changed the pipe to black ABS and raised it's height to match the level at which he wanted to run the tank water?

Okay here's another what if. What if a larger than usual hole were drilled in the back near-top corner of the tank, a strainer installed inside the tank and a Tee with durso cap connected to the back?

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2005 at 12:23am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Just something to think about, but what would happen if Holdencraft 33 removed the corner overflow acrylic pieces, changed the pipe to black ABS and raised it's height to match the level at which he wanted to run the tank water?

Okay here's another what if. What if a larger than usual hole were drilled in the back near-top corner of the tank, a strainer installed inside the tank and a Tee with durso cap connected to the back?

1- I would have saved the money to have the acrylic done and had something that would have worked as well

2- You would have the jfinch durso as linked to above.

Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2005 at 1:18am

That's two gold stars for Dion.  

What I wish I knew is whether one draws water faster than the other.

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic