Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vote for Prop 2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
reefer86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefer86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vote for Prop 2
    Posted: October 31 2018 at 9:41am
Shaggydoo, good luck to you - I wish you the best. I'll be voting yes on prop 2. I think everyone on the forum should too... after all aren't we all a bunch of "REEFer-heads"? LOL
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 7:40pm
I didn't know anyone was voting no.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 3:12pm
Thank you for your vote Kevin!

Shawn - That is a well thought out response. I understand your concerns about the affirmative defense, but I'm glad that is there because it will take time for the framework of dispensaries etc. to begin getting medicine to patients. In the meantime, if Prop 2 passes, patients can use marijuana without fear of being labeled a criminal. I'm sure it will not be easy to get a case dismissed unless you have a true condition you can prove to the court. 

The growth of plants is a valid concern for many, but you can only grow if you are many (I forget how many but I want to say its about 100) miles away from a licensed dispensary. This portion of the law was meant to address the adequacy of distribution in the rural areas of Utah. Considering how big our state is, some kind of rural exception would need to be made no matter how a medical marijuana law is written. Also, growing yourself may create some excess that will spillover into the black market, but anyone can tell you how alive and well the black market is right now. Marijuana is so easy to get, a few extra plants in Milford (or any other rural area), will not cause marijuana to suddenly become easily accessible. 

And you are 100% right, this law in no way changes the penalties for illegally possessing marijuana. It will still be illegal to smoke in public (unless you are experiencing a medical emergency), and definitely still illegal to consume recreationally anywhere. 

Please continue researching and don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have. Is this law perfect? None are. But, is this by far the best we have seen in this state (and there have been many failed attempts over the past 5 years by our illustrious legislature)? Without a doubt. Overall, the pros far outweigh the cons, and it is time we think of people's pain and suffering before holding out for some perfect bill.
60g LPS Cube
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 2:09pm
I thin most of the opposition is coming from the "Affirmative Defense" statements in prop-2.

I have read most of prop-2 and don't claim to understand it all. I think these are intentionally written to make them hard to understand. But, according to my understanding (not from news media):

1. It does maintain penalties will continue to exist for illegally owning, using, or distributing cannabis or cannabis devices.

2. It does claim the state may NOT invest resources to prosecute cannabis users, based on it being illegal at a national level, if you in accord with state laws...Basically, Cannabis is still illegal (federal laws). But, the state won't enforce the federal laws.

3. Insurance companies and the medical field may NOT withhold treatments, services, or benefits, if you are using Cannabis legally

4. The "Affirmative Defense" statement is disconcerting. But, I "think" it only applies until 1/1/2020...Basically, if you get arrested for possession/use of Cannabis. The case will be thrown out of court if you "could be" allowed to use it after 2020. My understanding is this makes it hard for law enforcement as they have to assume you have it legally...But after 1/1/2020, you will be required to carry your "Cannabis Card" to provide proof of innocence.

5. The ability for individuals to grow their own Marijuana plants is also disconcerting. Obviously, there are requirements. But, it seems to be less controlled than a licensed "grower". Do they have the ability/expertise to process it into medically/legally approved forms? Are the regulations/reportings sufficient to prevent them from distributing their "excess"?

Overall, I am totally OK with medical Cannabis. I'm torn about prop 2, mostly because of individuals being able to grow their own marijuana plants.
===========

Shawn Winterbottom
kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 10:10am
I am voting for prop 2.
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 9:45am
Thank you Trigger and Zack. I personally appreciate your vote on this issue.

Hogie - Your views are the exact exaggerations and lies that have me so fired up on this issue. There is NO law that will allow shaggydoo (my name is Aaron by the way) any relief in any form. The current Utah law you are referring to has such a narrow scope it will help very few, as it is set up to help only those with 6 months or less to live. Unfortunately, I plan on being alive for longer than 6 months, and to add insult to injury, my doctors have not given me a terminal diagnosis. If only I had a shorter time to live so I could get some help.

I do agree with you that people should read the laws. Go read the current law that Trigger linked above and decide for yourself if giving a band-aid to a dying person is enough help? Then go read Prop 2 and decide which bill actually gives real relief to real patients.

Finally, it is simply absurd to tell people to disregard personal stories in this debate. The personal stories are the driving force on this issue, and the only reason we have a Prop 2 in the first place. I don't want to live in a society where we ignore the plight of our fellow man.

Everyone - Here is the meat and potatoes of this issue. Prop 2 gives medical (not recreational) access to marijuana when prescribed by a doctor for the following qualifying illnesses (taken directly from the full text Prop 2): HIV, Alzheimers, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, cancer, cachexia (or other physically wasting chronic disease), Crohn's disease, epilepsy, MS, PTSD, autism, a rare condition that affects less than 200,000 Americans, chronic or debilitating pain, and when a physician determines a person is allergic to opiates. There is also a process set up for individual consideration on a case-by-case basis by a Compassionate Use Board.

So in summary, if you believe in medical marijuana, and you would like to see people with the debilitating conditions listed above receive help: Please vote YES on Prop 2!
60g LPS Cube
Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 7:56am
I’ll be voting yes for prop 2 🙂
TriggerHappy View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2018 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by Hogie Hogie wrote:

I usually don't go on political issues, but I'll give my 2 cents here. I'm for medical marijuana, but I am against prop 2. There are a multiple reasons why I think that but I wanted to response to shaggydoo's post. I'm personally know several people who's lives have been destroyed by opioids from addition to arrest to death overdose. I'm glad there is an alternative to help ease the pain that isn't as dangerous or addictive as opioids.

BUT, in response to it not being available or being illegal, did you know that the CURRENT Utah law requires that by January 1 2019, cannabis has to be grown in the state, processed into it's medical form and then be available to be distributed for sale to those who are medically need it?

So, in less then 2 months, shaggydoo will be able to legal get their medical marijuana with no change to the current law.

I would not tell anyone to vote for or against medical marijuana, but I would highly recommend READING prop 2 so you can form your own opinion and not just listen to stories from people on either side of the issue. Become informed on the issue from the source, then make your own judgement call.

Okay, excuse my ignorance, which may be due to me living in California for two years. No, I did not know that there is a current Utah law on the books for that.  I'm sure I can google it, but what bill is that?  If you are correct, which I'm sure you are, then yes I will take a deeper dive into Prop 2.

Knowledge is power.

Edit:  
You aren't referring to this, https://le.utah.gov/~2018/bills/static/hb0195.html right?

Edited by TriggerHappy - October 11 2018 at 8:04pm
210 gallon Mixed Reef
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2018 at 4:49pm
I usually don't go on political issues, but I'll give my 2 cents here. I'm for medical marijuana, but I am against prop 2. There are a multiple reasons why I think that but I wanted to response to shaggydoo's post. I'm personally know several people who's lives have been destroyed by opioids from addition to arrest to death overdose. I'm glad there is an alternative to help ease the pain that isn't as dangerous or addictive as opioids.

BUT, in response to it not being available or being illegal, did you know that the CURRENT Utah law requires that by January 1 2019, cannabis has to be grown in the state, processed into it's medical form and then be available to be distributed for sale to those who are medically need it?

So, in less then 2 months, shaggydoo will be able to legal get their medical marijuana with no change to the current law.

I would not tell anyone to vote for or against medical marijuana, but I would highly recommend READING prop 2 so you can form your own opinion and not just listen to stories from people on either side of the issue. Become informed on the issue from the source, then make your own judgement call.
TriggerHappy View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2018 at 4:16pm
I do not partake, but I know of others with and without medical conditions that do.  It will get my vote regardless. Good luck Aaron. 
210 gallon Mixed Reef
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2018 at 1:29pm
Hello Fellow Reefers,

I wanted to take a minute to ask you all to vote for Proposition 2. Some of you may have noticed me at meetings last year, or visited me during the 2017 reef tour (sorry I can't host this year, but plan on next year if I can). The reason you may have noticed me is I was in a wheelchair and/or unable to walk for most of 2017.  

I have a rare genetic disorder, and my options for long term treatment in our current system are opioids or nothing. Over the past year, I gave up on the opioids for good as they are too dangerous, and I don't think anyone would argue with me here. 

My life has taken a giant positive turn since trying medical marijuana, and I have been telling everyone about my experiences. If I had this same attitude about any other medicine; I would be a spokesman for some pharmaceutical company. However, saying anything positive about my own personal use of medicinal marijuana makes me nervous because it is currently illegal. Please vote to change this.

Everyone agrees marijuana has medicinal properties, but we spend our time arguing over distribution and side effects, especially in youth. Debate is healthy, but don't let the small details derail the help Utah citizens have been requesting for years. 

Distribution can be safely done without the Utah government creating their own version of marijuana liquor stores (many other states have accomplished this already). The side effects are there, but in adults are so minimal, they pale in comparison even to your more basic prescription medications. Ever watch a commercial for the latest greatest drug? I have a hard time figuring out if drugs from big pharma will help me or give me uncontrollable anal seepage.

Don't trust the current Utah politicians empty promise of a future "compromise". This is nothing more than a bait and switch. Our legislature has had years to do something, but they have accomplished nothing. Don't let our government's current ineptitude sway you from supporting a piece of legislation that came from the people, is written for the people, and will ultimately greatly benefit people like me.

Thanks,
Aaron
60g LPS Cube
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic