Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Identify

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
nwreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nwreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Identify
    Posted: August 13 2018 at 6:00am
So I've discovered these growing in my tank. Not sure if its a plant or animal, and good or bad.
Chad A.
20g nano in progres
Member~ A.A.A. ( Aquarium Addicts Anonomous)
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 7:15am
What you have is a macro algae called Neomeris Annulata. In small numbers they are not much of a problem. They can however grow quite quickly and become a nuscense if your nutrient parameters are not kept in check.

They are also a calcifying algae so they can have an effect on your Calcium and Alkalinity numbers as well so make sure you are testing and practicing good tank husbandry to maintain your levels.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
nwreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nwreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 10:45am
Will do. Thanks for the info on it. I will maintain the small patch that is growing and keep an eye amd remove any spreading
Chad A.
20g nano in progres
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 5:55pm
What? This is super desirable. Let it take over the tank if possible. Or sell it to me.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
nwreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nwreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 7:04pm
It is quite interesting. Researching it those that have small patches love it. Those that have a tank dominated and decimated by it loath it. There doesn't seem to be any natural predator to kill it if it gets out of hand.
Chad A.
20g nano in progres
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 11:15am
You can always sell it to me.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic