Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Biocube 29 Lighting upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
leatherneck1833 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leatherneck1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Biocube 29 Lighting upgrade
    Posted: February 15 2018 at 2:49pm
Hey all,

Looking to upgrade my stock lighting to better LEDs. I have seen so many posts (some really out of date) on how to do this and I am not sure if there are any new options. 

One that has interested me is putting the Current Marine Orbit retrofit (http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/356379-current-marine-orbit-retrofit-into-biocube-29/) as the price is amazing. 

I have also seen the option of Steve's LEDs (http://www.stevesleds.com/Biocube-29-LED-Turbo-Upgrade-System--Plug-and-Play_p_298.html) but man thats the cost of another aquarium!

The other option I have seen is to remove the hood and mount a light above. With 3 kids I am not sure this is the best option.

I want to know if it is worth upgrading as I am not doing SPS. I am doing some fish, LPS and an anenome.
If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it!

Thanks!
kmtfishchannel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmtfishchannel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 4:47pm
In my opinion and someone who has only been doing Soft, & LPS corals the lights that it come with will work for the most part. I've had and seen many Bio Cubes do great with the stock lighting. If you are looking at the old 29gal I know you can add more LED strips to the tank. I think 6 total led strips. I' do mostly the blue led strips compared to white. As far as the new 32 gal goes with the LED lights I have also seen lots of great tanks with the stock lights.

I know a few other upgrades you can make to the tank and some that might not be worth it as I have done one myself. Such a fun little tank to MOD and do different things with. I can gladly give you more MOD ideas if you like, let me know!
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 5:40pm
Is there a reason you are thinking of upgrading? Are some of your corals not doing well, or are you wanting to try something more demanding? If not, I would just stay how you are and spend money on corals :)
60g LPS Cube
leatherneck1833 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leatherneck1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 7:28pm
I would like a bit more “pop” from the lights. I would love to hear if the mods that have been done as well.
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 8:13am
Not sure about everyone else but mingfatech seems to be a robot. Looks like this post was generated because it said LED but the poster is not posting on topic, delete?

60g LPS Cube
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic