Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

return pump query

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: return pump query
    Posted: January 29 2018 at 11:32am
All right guys,

Riddle me this. What would make a return pump (3 months old max) not turn on after the briefest and I mean the briefest power outage I've ever seen. I have shut the power strip off and turned it back on again 3x's and no jump start sound at all. 
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2018 at 12:08pm
Debris in the pipe that was flushed down into the impeller area preventing the impeller from starting back up.

Power supply failure on a DC pump? Volute loose and causing the impeller to bind enough that is can't start but if helped it will continue to run? umm.....
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
redleader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2018 at 1:20pm
The only thing I can think is similar to what Krazie posted.

Binding of the impeller.

Have you taken the pump apart to clean it and reassemble it?

The other thought is the power supply, brown-outs and voltage surges (under current and over current) have blown many electronic devices, we think that power strip protect us, but I would beg to differ...

The best way I have found to really protect against power failure and surging is to run off of a battery...

Everything in life is possible. You just have to dream big, and act bigger.

150 G Reef
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2018 at 8:43am
Not DC pump. http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=27_28&products_id=1584
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic