Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

June 2018 Meeting Mark Callahan! - Event Date: June 07 2018

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: June 2018 Meeting Mark Callahan!
    Posted: January 24 2018 at 3:28pm

We have an extra special treat coming in June - Mark Callahan, Mr. Saltwater Tank himself will be joining us to talk reefing! Stay tuned for details. This one is going to be EPIC!!! This is a FREE WMAS Event on 6/7!!! Hope to see you there!

Meeting date: June 7th
Meeting Time: 7:00pm MT
Meeting Location: Rose Garden Building (1601 E. 2100 S. Salt Lake City, UT)

MEETING TOPIC: Coral Slection for the long Haul.

Placing corals requires strategy and specific technique before and after the coral purchase. Relying on putting SPS up high and softies/LPS down low leaves your tank looking predictable and boring. My coral selection for the long haul talk shows you not only which corals to pick, but also where to put them in your tank to create a mixed reef tank worthy of any tank of the month award.

Mark has a huge social media presence, massive following on his YouTube channel (great videos). Mark gives talks all over the country and does a great job explaining complex hobby related things in easy to understand terms.

We have some great sponsors to thank for helping with this event! Lets hear it for tham and their contribution to our club and helping us bring in amazing speakers like this!

Edited by Krazie4Acans - May 22 2018 at 8:44am
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2018 at 8:26am
Big update to this thread coming soon! There is a hint in the new title of this thread.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Marcoss View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2018 at 5:16pm
Mark is gone?

RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2018 at 5:29pm
I don't think we are talking about the same thing. :)
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 3:17pm
First post updated. This is going to be a great event!
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 8:53pm
Tell us more about the sponsors, that's cool!

Adam
Mr Saltwater Tank
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

Tell us more about the sponsors, that's cool!

Adam

Like what? What do you want to know?
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 10:43pm
I don't know? Just excited. Anything special with the meeting? What did they sponsor? Why (like how can we get them to sponsor every meeting)?

Adam
Mr Saltwater Tank
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2018 at 9:16am
Well here is a little bit of background and info on the sponsorships:

Driftwood Aquarium Furniture - is currently the clubs highest contributing sponsor for this year. They have donated furniture (and aquariums) to events, have directly paid for speaker fees, and sponsored upgrades to Paid member events going on this year. Their donations have allowed us to have great prizes for contests, more enjoyable events and more events by allowing us to stretch our club dollars.

Reef On - Is one of our active local store sponsors and has really been an active participant with helping bring some great benefits to the club. They have made donations to our meeting drawings, helped cover costs of bringing in our event speaker, facilitated receipt of product donations and simplified the handling of those donations and pickup by drawing winners. They were a participant in our Spring Fragstock and hope to see them back for the fall Fragstock as well.

Fritz Aquatics - Is a new sponsor for this year and has donated their product for use in our club drawings to help improve product offerings in the drawings and bring in additional funds from ticket sales to further offset the costs of bringing Mark Callahan to our club meeting to speak. They have been easy to work with and we would love to see more involvement from them going forward.

Hopefully that gives a little look into some of the behind the scenes help that our sponsors provide and the impact it has on the ability of the club to offer such great events to our members. So next time you see those drawing tickets for sale at the meetings just remember that these sponsors are making those items available and by doing so allowing us to bring improved events to all of our members!

We couldn't make all of these events happen for the club without our sponsors and we fail at talking about them enough so reach out to them and thank them for their support of the club and you, its memebers!
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2018 at 12:11pm
Here's some bio information on our speaker just in case you haven't heard of him.

Mark Callahan is the creator and star of Mr. Saltwater Tank TV, the web-based television show dedicated to taking the confusion out of setting up and main- taining a saltwater tank. Mark says there is a central theme in his life: Water. Water. Water. He currently maintains a 450-gallon tank and since starting his video show in 2010, Mark has created more than 475 Mr. Saltwater Tank TV episodes resulting in over 13,500,000 views worldwide. The show has attracted 59,000+ YouTube subscribers and 48,000 + fans on Facebook. He has authored and co-authored six ebooks, including The No-Nonsense Guide to Setting Up A Saltwater Tank and a number of articles for international magazines such as Tropical Fish Hobbyist and Marine Habitat Magazine. Mark makes his home in the Nashville, Tennessee area, and spends time with his wife, two kids. Mr. Saltwater Tank can be found @ www.mrsaltwatertank.com
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2018 at 12:52pm
This is great, thanks. I guess I wasn't sure if Fritz (for example) said "here's ten bucks" or if they said "here's a thousand to cover airfare and hotel."
Also, if Driftwood is sponsoring Callahan, can they get him to autograph the inside of a cabinet door (Or something)?

Cool sponsors, thanks for the update.

Adam
Mr Saltwater Tank
Sorensonsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sorensonsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 5:19pm
What date in June will Mark Callahan be in Salt Lake City and what time.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 5:33pm
according to the original post it's June 7th and the club meetings start at 7pm. We will get the part updated with more detail.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2018 at 8:08am
Whoo!
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2018 at 10:32am
We are officially two weeks away from this event. I sure hope people have it on their calendar because this is one you will want to be at!
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic