Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Desperate for Advise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SaltySammy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltySammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Desperate for Advise
    Posted: December 02 2017 at 5:14pm

Hello Folks,

I need some advise.

I have little knowledge of SW tanks, but have had a 90 gallon unit for several years now.  I got my tank from my son who used to work in the industry, but had to move and gave me this tank.

I have been using a local company to service it every three weeks for a couple of years now, but I am very frustrated with them.  My tank had severe hair algae for a couple of years and last year I started to get over run with aptaizia, (spell).  Then in June, they sent a new tech to do my service, and within 6 weeks I had a tank that was trouble free and looked fantastic!

But whenever they sent other folks, they would do the service, give me a piece of paper saying they had done all of this stuff, only to find my skimmer completely subserviced, and blowing the garbage it had been skimming right back into the newly cleaned tank!  Not always, but more times than I can count on both hands!  I even resorted to taking pictures after each service to document it for the owner. Twice the tank almost overflowed due to not cleaning the return filter on the sump.  Thank god I caught it before major disaster.

Bottom line, about a month ago, same thing happened, (skimmer/filter).  I called the company, and got no response and they have yet to contact me.  I think i may have gotten a divorce and don't know it, LOL.

So, I think I have 3 options. ONE.  Find another company to service me, TWO, learn to do it myself, (I have to tanks, a recirculator, and about 300 lbs of salt, or THREE, sell the system. Suggestions/Advise?

Currently Clueless
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2017 at 5:30pm
My first question-  
What do you want to do?

Do you want to learn about it and keep it?  Or do you want to be free of it?  

Also, if you can share some photos of the tank.  That will really help us in seeing how much work is involved with it, how delicate the animals are, and the type of equipment you have to work with.

Thanks
Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltySammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2017 at 6:02pm
Ideally, I would like to keep it and learn to do the maintenance on it myself.  Right now I am so busy in business that i feel like i can't do it justice, but I may just have to reprioritize to get this done.

Second best option, would be to find someone/company that would do the maintenance and teach me as they go so I could eventually take over.

Least favorite option, but i am right at the edge of this is to sell the tank and be done with it.

I have attached a pic of the top and bottom to give you an idea of what i have.
Currently Clueless

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltySammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2017 at 6:14pm
Here is a pic of the system in my basement that was to be set up for water changes, but is currently shut down.
Currently Clueless
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2017 at 6:42pm
I would see about finding another company and then setting out to learn more. Meetings, online forums and LFS employees are great resources as well just verify everything. YouTube has a lot of great info as well. Keep the tank!
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2017 at 6:58pm
There is a ton of information (albeit some outdated) in the reefkeeping tips thread here on the forum. You would probably find everything you need to handle that tank on there.

Plus there are many on here that can help when you have specific questions.

Keep the tank, learn the maintenance routine and enjoy the tank even more knowing you made it look that good.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2017 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by Krazie4Acans Krazie4Acans wrote:

Keep the tank, learn the maintenance routine and enjoy the tank even more knowing you made it look that good.

...and save some money! It's not too difficult, but it does take time and effort.

I do have my work aquarium serviced due to the cost and the ease. I can be making money while someone else does a water change.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltySammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2017 at 7:36pm
I think i can do it, and do a better job, and ohh, first thing is to find out how to set this thing up so the skimmer shuts down on the same circuit, so it doesn't pump the crud back into the system if you forget to shut the skimmer off first!  It worked that way with my old skimmer, but when they replaced it, they put it on a different circuit.

And I am quite sure  I can remember to clean the darn skimmer when doing a water change, i just can't understand why a commercial SW company can't remember to.  Even when they give me a darn checklist saying they did!
Currently Clueless
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2017 at 9:54pm
This tank looks simple enough, and has the option for low maintenance.  One option I'd consider now is just unplugging the skimmer.  If there's a possibility of it causing a problem, let's address it later.
That tank looks very self sufficient.  No water changes necessary, and very little feeding (if any) needed for now.  Clean the glass every day and just sit back.  That's my advice.  

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2017 at 4:55am
It looks like a pretty simple setup. Id be willing to go down and we could build a list of weekly/monthly maintenance steps. Then as you go along, you can hop on here and ask more questions and learn new stuff!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic