Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Live phyto question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Live phyto question
    Posted: November 02 2017 at 12:28pm
A couple weeks ago, I ordered some live phyto and copepods from algaebarn. They were having a BOGO sale, and I decided to give it a go. Over the last two weeks I gradually increased the dosage of the phyto, and I'm now adding double the recommended dose. 

I've noticed a significant decrease in the amount of algae on my glass. I was having to scrape every day or I would have a noticeable green film. Now, I can go a couple days before I see anything on the glass, and I'm getting more of a white film rather than green algae. Is this due to the phyto using nutrients before other algae can? I'm wondering if others have any similar experiences using live phyto.
60g LPS Cube
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2017 at 9:47pm
Lot's of advantages to live Phyto. That's one of them. Brighter, healthier coral, clams, shrimp, crabs, and fish and larger populations of useful bugs and worms are other benefits. The white film is a bacterial biofilm. It was always there, just hidden behind the algae.

Algae is the basis of all life on earth, It only makes sense to feed it to all the animals in our aquariums. More on this topic here, copied from the Reefkeeping Tips:

How to grow "bugs and worms" to aide in feeding Carnivores and Coral and prevent an algae bloom:

A decade ago a lot of hobbyists were growing and feeding single-celled algae of many kinds and colors, even brown and red.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2017 at 9:24am
Thanks Mark. I liked how well my tank responded to feeding live phyto, so I have now set up a phytoplankton station. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks? I have 3 1 liter bottles lit by LED strip lights. So far after 4 days they have all doubled in density and a lot less light gets thru.

60g LPS Cube
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2017 at 12:28pm
It's really a lot of fun. I used grow a lot of nannochloropsis algae and would sell/give it to other hobbyists. Smile Eventually I stopped growing it. My best tip is to be prepared for the culture to crash. Ouch Sorry, that just the facts of it. I found a much better and easier option: Algae paste from Brine Shrimp Direct in Ogden

Below: Ten gals of my home grown phyto waiting for hobbyist pickup. Smile

P.S.
I agree with what you said on the Reef Tour, it was the new light over your Refugium that mostly stopped other algae growth in the display.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic