Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Low Salinity

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kmtfishchannel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmtfishchannel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low Salinity
    Posted: October 04 2017 at 12:46pm
I just tested my Salinity and it's at 1.020 I would like it at 1.025/1.026 any recomendations on how I can raise this up slowly and effectivly without causing stress to fish and corals? My tank is about 60Gallons no including the sump that is about 20 Gallons.

Thanks!
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2017 at 12:50pm
I would start topping off with salt (possibly 1.020 to match at first) water. That would gradually raise salinity as water evaporates.
60g LPS Cube
kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2017 at 1:02pm
you should also look into why your salinity is low.  Maybe calibrate your refractometer?  If you're using a hydrometer, throw it away.

Verifying your measurement with a friend is also a good idea.
kmtfishchannel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmtfishchannel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2017 at 1:18pm
I just threw away my Hydrometer and got a Refractometer.
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2017 at 2:57pm
Yep, just top off with salt water till it gets to the salinity you want.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2017 at 2:59pm
I agree, before assuming the salt is low, I would check the unit with salt water of verified Specific Gravity. Hydrometers need to be calibrated too, just like Refractometers. When Refractometers were $50, most of us used Hydrometers, which we kept clean and calibrated. I carry both tools in my tank maintenance kit. If I ever drop the Refractometer, I still have the Hydrometer. Smile

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Reefboy4life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2017 at 3:29pm
Yup top off with saltwater just be patient and don’t raise it to quickly, learned the hard way and killed my favorite fish (coral beauty)
90 gallon mixed reef
jazer View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2017 at 12:15pm
This also happened to me last mouth. My Red-Sea refractometer was off. I notice it was less salt to make my saltwater. when I tested the calibration of my Red-sea, it was showing my salinity was at 30ppt. Everything in the tank was kind of upset for two days but didn't lose anything. levels are back to normal now. This is an easy thing to over look in the hobby. The tools we use can be super helpful and make things easier if checked and cleaned often. I'm going to try to test it more often now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic