Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HELP! Brown Jelly Disease

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
jungleboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jungleboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2017 at 12:15pm
Note: the first torch that dies was originally under ai primes. 

Light is down to only 20% at peak of the day around 1 pm.

I just tested and retested all of my parameters and they are as follows. I dont know why my ca, kh, and mg are so high all of a sudden. the only thing i can think of is the water change i did. I have not dosed anything for a while.
Ammonia Nitrite (NO2) Nitrate (NO3 ) Ph Kh Calcium Magnesuim Salinity  Temp

0 0 0 8 11 500 1500 35 78

I have added activated carbon to the tank as well. 

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2017 at 11:34am
Thank you for your reply and for the new information. 
Below is some info for your learning and benefit.

Lighting is complicated. Knowing that the coral was previously illuminated by an AI Prime fixture is only marginally helpful, unless we also know the following about that light:

- distance of the light fixture to the water surface
- average intensity
- distance of the coral to the water surface
- Intensity of the 7 individual colors
- Light duration or photoperiod

You will notice that the latter three of those five items have not yet been covered in our discussion. That's because when you showed us the situation these coral had been placed into, I felt the need to act quickly and keep my advice basic. In other words, for the emergency rescue of your coral, I felt it best to reduce light intensity ASAP. Unfortunately, the "sunburn" damage is done, coral may continue to die, but others will slowly recover over the next 1-2 months. Sorry for your loss. 

How did Ca jump from 275 ppm to 500 ppm? Was it a misreading or over dosing?

The Reef Crystals salt mix is probably not the best one to use right now. Regular IO salt would be a better choice because it has normal amounts of Alk, Ca and Mg. Because the stony coral are struggling right now, they are not using the extra Alk, etc. contained in Reef Crystals.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it in this thread but I learned my lesson the hard way, about fatally sunburning coral. In 2013 I set up Marksreef Coral Farm. It was a series of connected tanks illuminated by the sun through a south facing picture window. Inexperienced with greenhouses, I did something idiotic. I had been growing coral for profit since 1996. I had set many tanks in or close to windows in the past, but never something this intense. 

In this new location, twice a year, for about 6 weeks in Spring and again in Fall, the position of the sun in the sky was such that most of the coral in the system were bathed in direct sunlight for about 9 hours a day. It was beautiful. It was like being at the ocean. I thought I was in heaven. Confused

My idiotic mistake was not recognizing how water absorbs light. Except for SPS in the surf zone, coral in the ocean are receiving sunlight that passes through 10-30+ feet of water (see pics below). In the major coral growing areas of this ~300 gal coral farm, twice each year direct sunlight passed through only a foot of water before it impacted the coral. Coral started dying, melting away as a brown goo. I knew something was wrong but I didn't know what. Everything I could come up with was done to mitigate the death and destruction Dead. Nothing really helped. It just seemed to have to take it's course and eventually it did recover.

I distinctly remember a visitor who came by and then quickly left, commenting that all my coral were brown and ugly. I racked my brain for answers. I did everything I could come up with. It took a couple months, but the few surviving coral would slowly recover. This coral destruction occurred Fall 2013 and Spring 2014, but I hadn't yet made the connection. 

In the Fall of 2014 my wife and I went on a driving vacation to New York. On our trip we stopped at Tropicorium in Michigan and Tidal Gardens in Ohio It was awesome to meet and talk with other experienced coral growers. **** Perrin, a pioneer of coral propagation had been running Tropicorium for ~30 years. At both facilities, I noticed the greenhouses were covered with several layers of shade cloth. I was told that the shade cloth was to keep bright sun from making the greenhouses too hot and that coral grew fine in this shade. Tidal Gardens actually supplemented with artificial lighting over most tanks. I thought that I was so dang smart. My farm was indoors where air conditioning kept the tanks cool and artificial illumination was unnecessary. Approve

Upon returning home I found that my coral farm was going through it's third "season of death". I immediately made the connection and dropped the window blinds. Again the last of the surviving coral slowly recovered. Eventually, I learned to adjust the blinds so that only narrow 1/2" lines of sunlight came in between each 3" slat. 

Altogether, I lost around $2,000 worth of coral and over $10,000 in subsequent coral sales. Looking back on it, the worst thing is how I had to endure killing so many coral. Cry

I hope those reading this find my experience interesting and helpful.

Aloha
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2017 at 11:49am
My thanks to the famous explorer Jacques Yves Cousteau for these images, copied from one of his books, circa 1970. I have posted these countless times here on this forum since 2002, hoping they will help my fellow hobbyists. Aloha, Mark  Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jungleboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jungleboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2017 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Thank you for your reply and for the new information. 
Below is some info for your learning and benefit.

Lighting is complicated. Knowing that the coral was previously illuminated by an AI Prime fixture is only marginally helpful, unless we also know the following about that light:

- distance of the light fixture to the water surface

The light is 7 inches from the waters surface
- average intensity
- distance of the coral to the water surface

The bottom torch is 15 inches from the light. 
Top hammers are 1-3 inches from the waters surface

- Intensity of the 7 individual colors
- Light duration or photoperiod

Note: I have the blues up at the end of the day for my personal viewing enjoyment because that's when I get home. I don't know if that is bad. but that is what I had it set up as.

I didn't realize how intricate lightiing was. So any suggestions are welcome!

You will notice that the latter three of those five items have not yet been covered in our discussion. That's because when you showed us the situation these coral had been placed into, I felt the need to act quickly and keep my advice basic. In other words, for the emergency rescue of your coral, I felt it best to reduce light intensity ASAP. Unfortunately, the "sunburn" damage is done, coral may continue to die, but others will slowly recover over the next 1-2 months. Sorry for your loss. 

How did Ca jump from 275 ppm to 500 ppm? Was it a misreading or over dosing?

I havent been dosing anything, so it cant be that. I have no idea what could have caused it.

The Reef Crystals salt mix is probably not the best one to use right now. Regular IO salt would be a better choice because it has normal amounts of Alk, Ca and Mg. Because the stony coral are struggling right now, they are not using the extra Alk, etc. contained in Reef Crystals.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it in this thread but I learned my lesson the hard way, about fatally sunburning coral. In 2013 I set up Marksreef Coral Farm. It was a series of connected tanks illuminated by the sun through a south facing picture window. Inexperienced with greenhouses, I did something idiotic. I had been growing coral for profit since 1996. I had set many tanks in or close to windows in the past, but never something this intense. 

In this new location, twice a year, for about 6 weeks in Spring and again in Fall, the position of the sun in the sky was such that most of the coral in the system were bathed in direct sunlight for about 9 hours a day. It was beautiful. It was like being at the ocean. I thought I was in heaven. Confused

My idiotic mistake was not recognizing how water absorbs light. Except for SPS in the surf zone, coral in the ocean are receiving sunlight that passes through 10-30+ feet of water (see pics below). In the major coral growing areas of this ~300 gal coral farm, twice each year direct sunlight passed through only a foot of water before it impacted the coral. Coral started dying, melting away as a brown goo. I knew something was wrong but I didn't know what. Everything I could come up with was done to mitigate the death and destruction Dead. Nothing really helped. It just seemed to have to take it's course and eventually it did recover.

I distinctly remember a visitor who came by and then quickly left, commenting that all my coral were brown and ugly. I racked my brain for answers. I did everything I could come up with. It took a couple months, but the few surviving coral would slowly recover. This coral destruction occurred Fall 2013 and Spring 2014, but I hadn't yet made the connection. 

In the Fall of 2014 my wife and I went on a driving vacation to New York. On our trip we stopped at Tropicorium in Michigan and Tidal Gardens in Ohio It was awesome to meet and talk with other experienced coral growers. **** Perrin, a pioneer of coral propagation had been running Tropicorium for ~30 years. At both facilities, I noticed the greenhouses were covered with several layers of shade cloth. I was told that the shade cloth was to keep bright sun from making the greenhouses too hot and that coral grew fine in this shade. Tidal Gardens actually supplemented with artificial lighting over most tanks. I thought that I was so dang smart. My farm was indoors where air conditioning kept the tanks cool and artificial illumination was unnecessary. Approve

Upon returning home I found that my coral farm was going through it's third "season of death". I immediately made the connection and dropped the window blinds. Again the last of the surviving coral slowly recovered. Eventually, I learned to adjust the blinds so that only narrow 1/2" lines of sunlight came in between each 3" slat. 

Altogether, I lost around $2,000 worth of coral and over $10,000 in subsequent coral sales. Looking back on it, the worst thing is how I had to endure killing so many coral. Cry

I hope those reading this find my experience interesting and helpful.

Aloha
Mark  Hug
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic