Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Red Killers Part II

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red Killers Part II
    Posted: September 25 2005 at 11:26pm

I've got 'em again... worse then last time.  Not sure how I got 'em this time .  I think I have a pill at work, but if not does anyone here have any?

tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2005 at 11:31pm
I found out my mother has a bunch of them for her dogs, if you need one , I've got them.  I just finished my third treatment today, sorry you have to go thru it again, it's a pain in the ^^^ss.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2005 at 12:21am
arrrgh! yuck!
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2005 at 9:24am

Ok, I'm fixed for the med (I have just enough).

I still find it amazing that these little buggers pick and choose which acro colony to infest.  Some acros must taste better then others, although they all taste the same to me. 

fletch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2005 at 1:41pm

Jon,

Are you talking about red bugs and what are you usinf to get rid of them?  I hope all goes well with their defeat.

Fletch

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2005 at 1:56pm

Yes, red bugs.  Three treatments of a dog heart worm medicine called Interceptor will "usually" kill them.  In my case either I didn't kill 'em all when I treated last spring or they came in on a wild colony I purchased during the summer from a LFS.  I think it must have been the wild colony, 'cause my tank looked and the acro's grew great for a couple months following treatment.  Doesn't really matter, what matters is that I dumped a 1/3 of a pill into my tank this morning and by now they're all dead! 

John, are you thinking about restarting?

Edited by jfinch
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2005 at 2:15pm
Oh man.... I think one more round of these and Id give up the hobby for good. That was the worst month ever trying to kill them and not all ny crabs and shrimp..  Good luck
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2005 at 3:14pm
Connie, the thing that really torques me is that my sight is so bad that I have to wait until there are so many bugs that they are crawling over each other before I can see 'em.  Add to that that I'm too stupid to notice the same symptoms in my acros as last spring and you have a recipe for disaster.
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2005 at 3:20pm

I really feel for you.... I have been so busy I manage to clean the glass every three or four weeks. If I got them again they could set up condos before I would ever notice.  This hobby is more work then its worth sometimes...    

Good luck

fletch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2005 at 3:15pm

Jon,

I am not interested in getting a tank started just yet.  I will get one within the next two years though.  I am waiting for a purchase of a house...  I promised my wife the house first, then the reef tank.

dukester48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dukester48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2005 at 3:50pm
fletch, You must have great will power to spend time researching reef tanks and waiting for about 2 yrs! thats incredible..., I wish I could do that sometimes
fletch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2005 at 4:54pm

dukester48,

It is very hard.  I had a 50 gal reef tank for five years and had to part with it a year ago.  I did not have the time and my wife did not quite like taking care of the tank, when I could not.  I have the names of all the club members that got my stuff.  I know who to call upon when I get a tank started again.

Kevin View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2005 at 6:42pm
And we are more than willing to frag for you like you did for us. John(fletch) had a wonderful tank about a year ago.
fletch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2005 at 11:03am
Thank you Kevin,  I hope all is well with your new house and tank.  Good to hear from you.
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2005 at 11:25am
Well, Well.... I have a HUGE green plate that would love to come home when you get ready... Welcome back
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic