Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What Fancy Clown fish are found in the Ocean?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Fancy Clown fish are found in the Ocean?
    Posted: September 13 2017 at 11:40am
I dont think that there is a place in the world that you can see designer clowns as the dominant pattern of clownfish. I am pretty sure most of them are a rare/random color variation that someone was able to breed into mass production. 
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2017 at 11:38am
Piccasos came from a wild caught true perc from the solomon islands I beleve. Here is a picture of ORA's original wild caught picasso

the Picasso percula clownfish. Originating from a single wild caught fish in 2004, ORA began working to replicate the bizarre and swirled stripe patterns and bring them into commercial production

Original Wild ORA Picasso
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2017 at 10:52am
Sustainable Aquatics has a poster that shows what wild caught clowns/percs they start with and then what type they breed with each other to get the different morphs.

Do a search for SA Clownfish Poster.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2017 at 12:12am
I'll take a stab at this.
In the wild there are many marine fish with color markings outside the norm. For example, do a google image search of "white yellow tang". Fascinating color morphs can be seen. 10 years ago, a LFS here in St. George had a Yellow Tang with white markings. It was in their ~400 gal display tank for quite a few years. Unfortunately, that store was sold and has since folded.

I agree with Marcos. There is no doubt that interesting color morphs of many types of Clownfish have been collected over the years, but not until the development of reliable large scale breeding could anything be done with those rare morphs. In the wild, less than 1% of clownfish eggs reach adult. That's a lot of color morphs that went unseen. On the other hand, with captive bred clownfish survivability near 95% these days, the breeders get to play with selectively breeding a lot of different color morphs. 

With regard to Lightning Maroon Clownfish here is the story of the wild Lightning Maroon collected off Papua New Guinea in 2010 . (There was one collected in 2008 but that's a shorter story with a sad ending.)
Since then I believe there have been several dozen generations and some of the Lightning Maroon offered today are even sweeter than the original. Did you know that out of each batch from a pair of Lightning Maroon Clownfish, only about 20%(?) of offspring have the lightning markings. The rest all look like normal Maroon Clownfish. I believe the reason is genetic.

Shaun Sabey is our local breeder/expert. Maybe he will chime in here.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

P.S. One more link, from 2012, for all clownfish aficionados where breeder Matt Pederson clarifies a few things:
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2017 at 9:44pm
Maybe they did! I was only saying what I quickly researched. I have no idea though and honestly never thought of it. I'm curious now. You've sparked my curiosity.

RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
larseb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larseb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2017 at 9:29pm
Interesting, I feel like I have read and heard that a lighting maroon was found in the ocean and brought into captivity.  Then a breeder was able to expose the gene more fully after a couple of generations.  I am curious if this was similar with other fancy clownfish. Maybe Ill do a little more digging.  I always assumed that most of the fish were "man made", but  I realized I never really asked if they were or not.
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2017 at 9:20pm
I read after seeing your post. It appears the common clownfish is a Amphiprion Ocellaris, what we normally see as orange. I suspect in the wild that one can turn more dark/black and bred with another, giving birth to different looking clowns.

I think the research would need to be done on the ORA/Proaquatix/Sustainable Aquatics/Etc. level. I would be curious to see what they started with. I think that most original breeders found some funky ones in the wild and then started to breed them until they got what they wanted. Just selectively- like breeding dogs. 
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Reefboy4life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2017 at 8:48pm
Very interesting question, I would like to know as well!
90 gallon mixed reef
larseb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larseb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2017 at 8:11pm
I did a quick google search and didn't find much of an answer.  Does anyone know if there are and what types of fancy clown fish naturally occur in the ocean?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic