Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Supreme Court Halts Aquarium Fishery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Supreme Court Halts Aquarium Fishery
    Posted: September 08 2017 at 9:05am
Oh and as for being rare, Yellow Tangs are found and collected from all over the tropical Pacific and Indian Oceans. If collecting marine animals from Hawaii is ever banned, as collecting LR and certain coral from Florida waters was banned years ago, I'm sure that other sources will be developed.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2017 at 8:50am
Below is my opinion, based on what I have seen when watching televised Hawaii County Council Meetings. Hawaii County is the Big Island where the city of Kailua Kona is located from which most commercial fisherman are based. 

This has always been an emotional issue for some slightly crazy and self-serving people in Hawaii with "a bee in their bonnet". They stir the emotions of locals who really don't recognize the science that has already been presented. Determined to stop the exporting of Hawaiian wildlife to the mainland, these people ignore the scientific studies already conducted. The studies show that collection numbers continue to remain below that which would cut into the sustainable population of these animals. The data which the Hawaii Division of Land and Natural Resources compiles and the relationship which the DLNR maintains with collectors, clearly have been working in favor of local animal populations. 

The crazy people found a loophole they had previously overlooked. Now they have used that loophole to get the Court to stop the issuance of additional Commercial Permits. I believe this will simply lead to the temporary extension of permits currently held by established collectors. Hopefully, the DLNR may only need to explain to the Court the reason for why it issues permits as it does and that it has always been on top of the issue, since it's very mission is the protection of Hawaii's wildlife.

How else will 100's of wedding guests at countless weddings continue to be served fried Kole Tang?

Delicious.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2017 at 7:57pm
It's been a crazy day. I'm not sure what's going to happen.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2017 at 6:37pm
Did you guys see this?  I don't know if anyone else noticed, but all the fish from liveaquaria that came from Hawaii are sold out...  No more Yellows, koles and tons of wrasses.  This is going to change the hobby dramatically.  I know there's a ton of these fish in circulation, but I wonder what it will do to the price of these fish.  BTW, I got 2 rare Yellow Tangs for sale, only $2,500 a piece LOL

https://www.reef2rainforest.com/2017/09/07/hawaii-supreme-court-ruling-halts-aquarium-fishery/

Edited by love2skiutah - September 07 2017 at 6:44pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic