Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help with Aquarium Set up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
keightley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keightley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with Aquarium Set up
    Posted: September 07 2017 at 9:43am
I am under doctor's orders not to lift anything over 10 pounds.  I hurt my right shoulder / arm and because I am right handed it is not healing to quickly.  So I am hoping to find kind strong people to help me finish my aquarium.  My aquarium is a 125 gallons and it currently dry with nothing in it.  Even dry it is quite heavy, at least 200 pounds according to customaquariums.com.  So the move is definitely a two person job. 

Now, I have taken the two pillars down and put the buddha elsewhere.  So there is no lifting the aquarium over the Buddha and around the pillars. 

The last piece to putting together this aquarium that I could use some help on is with my DIY HOB filter.  I need to cut some holes in the bottom of the planters you can see in the picture.  I plan to do this with a dremel tool.  I don't have one so I still need to buy one.  But if someone has one I can borrow, that would be awesome! 

My plan is to place the two marineland HOB filters on the back of the planters with the intakes extended down through the bottom of the planter boxes into the aquarium.  The intakes will bring the water up into the filter for mechanical filtration and then spill it into the planter box where the will go through biological filtration with the live lava rocks and plants.  The plants of course are for nitrate reduction and/or elimination.  I just need to figure out how to get the water back into the aquarium.  I was thinking bell siphons.  Another idea I had was a waterfall.  I can just cut a long skinny rectangular hole just below the lip of the planter box.  Kind of like this...

If this is something that interest you, I would be willing to pay you a bit for help.  Private message me your number and I will be in contact. 

Cheers,
Keightley
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2017 at 3:22pm
Keep in mind, unlike fresh water, you'll get salt creep and salt residue wherever there is splashing. Not necessarily a bad thing, but for sure an added maintenance thing.
keightley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keightley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2017 at 10:01am
I got the aquarium moved onto the stand last night.  Yippie!  I love it when a plan comes together.

So now all I need help with before I start filling the aquarium up with water is customizing the planters you see sitting on top of the aquarium.  I am putting HOB filters on the back of the planters.  I want to thread the intakes down through the planters and into the aquarium.  The water will come up to the planters through the HOB filters, flow into the planter, and return to the aquarium through the spillway.  So I need to cut a long rectangular hole just under the lip of the planters.    All that is needed is a dremel tool and a hot gun to finish this DIY filter waterfall.  I could really use some help with this.  I don't want to buy a dremel tool and a hot gun just solely for this project.  So can someone with these tools take pity on me and help with this last piece of the project?  I would really like to start the fishless cycle process on Sunday! I am thinking this part of the project will only take at most an hour.  If so, feel free private message me.

Just to clarify, this is a cold freshwater aquarium setup. Salt water is far to intimidating right now for me.  I want to keep things simple and very zen like for my new meditation living room. Smile

Keightley

Edited by keightley - September 08 2017 at 10:05am
keightley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keightley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 11:35pm
So I borrowed a dremel tool from my boss of all people.  But I don't know if I now have the right tool to modify the planters.  Ugh!  I first tried the fiberglass reinforced cutoff wheel (#426) which did not work very well at all.  So then I switched to a diamond wheel point of some kind.  I had very little control of the cut and it took forever to get through the plastic.  So I did not cut much.

I am out of my depth here.  I am willing to pay for someone to help me modify these planters into HOB nitrate filters. I'd like to get this done ASAP.  I am really tired of looking at a dry aquarium!  Feel free to text me at 801-875-5233.

Note to moderators.... if you think this thread belongs in a better subforum for a better response, please move this post there.  Thanks!

Cheers,
Keightley
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic