Facebook
Twitter

Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - October Meeting 10/5 - Reef Pests W/Marc Levenson
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

October Meeting 10/5 - Reef Pests W/Marc Levenson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
jdinchak View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: October Meeting 10/5 - Reef Pests W/Marc Levenson
    Posted: September 03 2017 at 7:51pm
WMAS is excited to announce we have a very special guest for our October club meeting, Marc Levenson will be joining us from Texas to talk about Reef Pests in the Aquarium: How to identify the good guys and the bad guys and how to remove them.

10/5 at 7pm
Rose Garden Building 
Sugar House Park
1601 East 2100 South
Salt Lake City, UT

We will have snacks, coral vendors and some awesome raffles for this meeting.  

Raffle Update:
  • Revive and Coral RX for all your coral dipping needs
  • Gift Card to Rusty's Reefs
  • Gift Card to Aquatic Dreams
  • Assorted Masna Goodies (including Macna Tshirts)
  • 2018 Macna Vegas Full Passes (2x) - $280 value
  • and more!!!
Paid members will get two free raffle tickets, all other guests will receive one.  Paid members must show their 2017 keychain or forum login to receive additional ticket.  We will have additional tickets available for sale

If you buy a paid membership at this meeting it will run through 2018 and we will be giving 5 free raffle tickets with purchase!

As this is the meeting before our Reef Tour in November, we will be giving out Reef Tour yard signs for hosts.  

This is going to be a FANTASTIC meeting, you won't want to miss it!

A little more about Marc -

Marc "melev" Levenson has been in the hobby since 1998, blogging his experiences about his own reef on his website melevsreef.com to help others learn husbandry skills. Most recently he's become an online personality with tens of thousands of followers on his YouTube channel (melevsreef) also geared at helping other reefers through his personal experiences.  His website's articles, blogs, and Critter ID cover topics like pest control, feeding techniques, working with acrylics, reef photography and water chemistry to name a few. His online store carries many products like his RODI systems, custom sumps and even includes some items that he himself invented as clever solutions to make reefkeeping easier. Marc is a nationally recognized speaker, who regularly recommends supporting local club events, shopping local fish stores, and interacting with others via social media.  His other hobby is diving, exploring natural reefs.  His current tanks are a 400-gallon reef and a 60-gallon anemone cube, filled with captive bred fish and aquacultured corals.  youtube.com/melevsreef

Edited by jdinchak - October 02 2017 at 9:31am
FragStock (11/2)

Reef Tour (11/4)
jdinchak View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2017 at 9:20pm

How would you like to come face to face with this bad buy in your tank?
FragStock (11/2)

Reef Tour (11/4)
phys View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2017 at 4:14am
Looks like a good time!!!! Cant wait to see whats presented!
jdinchak View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2017 at 9:48pm
3 WEEKS!  Can't wait, this is going to be an EPIC event.
FragStock (11/2)

Reef Tour (11/4)
jdinchak View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2017 at 9:13am
Less then 2 weeks until this EPIC night!

Did you know we are a MASNA club? We support Masna which helps support education and study of everything salt water.  They are helping us pay for Mark's travel to Salt Lake and they are also throwing in some goodies for our raffle and some other surprises. 

You want to go to Macna next year in Vegas, great meeting to come to!
FragStock (11/2)

Reef Tour (11/4)
sleepingdeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 12:28pm
I love his youtube channel, this sounds great!
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 12:46pm
Final arrangements have been made and Marc will be here in just over a week. He's a great speaker and this should be some very good information. So clear your calendars and get yourself to the meeting. You won't want to miss it.!
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by jdinchak jdinchak wrote:

How would you like to come face to face with this bad buy in your tank?

You mean one of these?

Yes, as a matter of fact, I have!
sleepingdeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 2:39pm
just be glad you're not this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq08mk7zzb0

Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by sleepingdeep sleepingdeep wrote:

just be glad you're not this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq08mk7zzb0

I think I'd rather have the bristleworms than a Bobbitt worm!
chuckfu5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 7:58pm
Can anyone come to the meetings or do you have to be a paid member?

Also I've always wanted to join but what do I get for my membership and how much is it?

Can I sign up at the meeting?
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by chuckfu5 chuckfu5 wrote:

Can anyone come to the meetings or do you have to be a paid member?

Also I've always wanted to join but what do I get for my membership and how much is it?

Can I sign up at the meeting?

Anyone can come to meetings; you do not have to be a Paid member to attend - and the meetings are (almost always) FREE. And you can bring your spouse / significant other, kids, etc. All are welcome.

Paid membership is $26 for a year and gets you the following (and maybe more I have forgotten):

- Access to the Paid members Forum on the Board (which you can't see right now)
 - Entrance to the Paid members BBQ for you and your family
 - Discounts at some of our Local Fish Stores (you get an ID keychain to show for the discount)
 - First crack (and a discount) at tickets to Special Events like our Winter Banquet
 - The knowledge that you are helping to financially support our Non - Profit club... and that support allows us to bring in great guests like Marc Levenson!!! ClapClapClap

And yes, you can sign up right at any meeting. You can pay for your membership w/ cash, check or credit card right at the meeting. Or you can sign up online here - just click on the "About Us" link on the left side of your computer screen

- My Current Tank: 150g Mixed Reef -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2017 at 1:43pm
1/2 off corals at our frag fests...
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
jdinchak View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2017 at 2:14pm
We use that money to also put on events:

The food provided
Speaker fees and travel
Raffle prizes

Having club fee's helps offset that.  Again we are non-profit and our mission is to be community and knowledge sharing.  

Paying the fee also adds to the members "buy-in" with the club and I think adds to your participation as you are apart of it.  

What I always tell people is come on in and go to an event and see what you think before buying.  
FragStock (11/2)

Reef Tour (11/4)
jdinchak View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2017 at 6:49pm
These raffle items seem appropriate for next weeks meeting on Reef Pests! Rustys Reefs even donated a $25 gift certificate (thanks Rusty). We will have plenty more next week. Everyone who attends will get a raffle ticket!

FragStock (11/2)

Reef Tour (11/4)
jdinchak View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2017 at 11:41pm
Got a box full of cool things donated for our meeting next week by MASNA (whom WMAS is a supporter of and is helping us bring Marc to Utah). These are all giveaway items for the meeting. Want to see what's in the box? Come to the meeting.

FragStock (11/2)

Reef Tour (11/4)
phys View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 12:56am
I probably wont be able to make it due to work but I have some frags to donate for the raffle if someone can pick them up. 
jdinchak View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 7:52am
Check original thread for more raffle items!
FragStock (11/2)

Reef Tour (11/4)
jdinchak View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 9:31am
Updated original thread:

Raffle Update:
  • Revive and Coral RX for all your coral dipping needs
  • Gift Card to Rusty's Reefs
  • Gift Card to Aquatic Dreams
  • Assorted Masna Goodies (including Macna Tshirts)
  • 2018 Macna Vegas Full Passes (2x) - $280 value
  • and more!!!
Paid members will get two free raffle tickets, all other guests will receive one.  Paid members must show their 2017 keychain or forum login to receive additional ticket.  We will have additional tickets available for sale

If you buy a paid membership at this meeting it will run through 2018 and we will be giving 5 free raffle tickets with purchase!
FragStock (11/2)

Reef Tour (11/4)
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2017 at 11:10am
This meeting is today! I hope everyone is coming because it's going to be a great meeting!!!!!! See you all there!
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic