Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clown fish fry

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Aloha007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aloha007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clown fish fry
    Posted: July 01 2017 at 10:31am
Hello All!!

My 2 percula clowns laid eggs , after they hatched ( 8 days ago) I have been feeding them Hikari First Bites . This has been working so far because it is now Day 8 for my hatchlings. My rotifier tank crashed so this was a last ditch effort. How long do you think they will survive on this food?
Aloha007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aloha007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2017 at 10:38am
Also.. I am going to start mixing in Brine shrimp . I can't find anything regarding raising these babies without rotifiers so I am kind of lost
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2017 at 6:37pm
It's great that you raised them to this point. Thumbs Up
Metamorphosis is almost upon those larvae. That's when they change into real clownfish fry. It takes a lot of energy to go through that change. Don't know how well they will fare on that processed food. Keep your fingers crossed, but DO NOT feed brine shrimp nauplii (newly hatched brine shrimp) until after metamorphosis. Clownfish Larvae cannot handle Brine Shrimp nauplii.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

P.S. have you seen the threads about my clownfish breeding?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Aloha007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aloha007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2017 at 7:25pm
Thank you for the reply ! And no I haven't seen your post regarding clown fish
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2017 at 10:06am
It might be hard to find in a search of my 21,135 posts to date Wink, so I found the thread for you. Smile

I'm no professional breeder like our own Shaun Sabey, but this little guy raised in 1999, may be the first clownfish raised by a hobbyist in Utah...me. Embarrassed

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2017 at 2:10am
They can be raised on dry foods but you get a poor survival rate. Your on about day 10 and I would not introduce live at this point, continue with dry. Brine shrimp are not needed or recommend for raising clown fish. I like and recommend a product from Reef Nutrition called TDO.
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
Aloha007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aloha007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2017 at 5:01pm
Thank you! As of now I still have 12 hatchlings , they are happy and thriving( I hope)
Reefboy4life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2017 at 7:03pm
Nice!
90 gallon mixed reef
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2017 at 7:01am
Thanks for the info Shaun. 
Being naturally interested in this kind of thing, I looked it up. If I am right, TGO appears to be made by a company in Japan. It is a pelleted/powdered food infused with an important ingredient derived from a freshwater alga. At least three specialized fish food companies in the U.S. distribute it. We (the WMAS) had a guest speaker presentation from Reed Mariculture several years ago. Two other distributers are Reef Nutrition and APBreed. The Reef Nutrition home page has a very cool video of clownfish larvae and fry eating TDO

I assume the best survival rate comes from feeding live Rotifers complimented by occasional feeding of TDO or other dry prepared food like Hikari First Bites, right?

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Aloha007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aloha007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2017 at 11:48am
Hello all ! It is now day 12 and I still have 12 hatchlings. 2 don't look too well . Should I continue feeding dry or should I start feeding something else
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2017 at 1:11am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Thanks for the info Shaun. 
Being naturally interested in this kind of thing, I looked it up. If I am right, TGO appears to be made by a company in Japan. It is a pelleted/powdered food infused with an important ingredient derived from a freshwater alga. At least three specialized fish food companies in the U.S. distribute it. We (the WMAS) had a guest speaker presentation from Reed Mariculture several years ago. Two other distributers are Reef Nutrition and APBreed. The Reef Nutrition home page has a [URL=http://www.reefnutrition.com" rel="nofollow]very cool video of
I assume the best survival rate comes from feeding live Rotifers complimented by occasional feeding of TDO or other dry prepared food like Hikari First Bites, right?

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
apbreed and reef nutrition are made/sold by the same company. Chad Clayton works for Reeds, and also travels the country giving lectures on "bugs" and phytoplankton. I feed Rotifers for around 14-16 days and start TDO "A" around day 8 to 10. Some of the "garage" breeders start TDO as early as day 4. The commercial breeders are shifting to copods as an alternative to Rotifers.
Shaun
American Fork
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2017 at 1:16am
Mark you also know that Brine Shrimp Direct also sells a quality product Golden Pearls, which I have also used successfully.
Shaun
American Fork
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2017 at 1:19am
Originally posted by Aloha007 Aloha007 wrote:

Hello all ! It is now day 12 and I still have 12 hatchlings. 2 don't look too well . Should I continue feeding dry or should I start fyeeding something else
by day 12 they should have the first head stripe. Hopefully they go through metamorphosis in the next couple of days.
Shaun
American Fork
Wrogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2017 at 5:08am
I have some friends that have breed clowns years back..  I will get in touch with them and see if they would be willing to share some knowledge. They live in Grantsville some might know them Linda and George owners of SeaBase.. That is if you all would be interested ? 
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2017 at 10:23am
Shaun, Oh yeah, I have used Golden Pearls for more than a decade. Awesome fish food!

Wrogers, the baby Tomato Clownfish shown in the pic above is a grandbaby of a pair that Linda and George were breeding at Bonneville SeaBase! I am so proud to show off that baby, one of only two that survived, which lived for many years in one of Adam Blundell's tanks. Below is the father of that baby looking after his eggs, laid in my 75 gal(tank pics below). This was around 1999, the beginning days of digital photography. If a fishy friend, Chuck, hadn't let me use his camera, I wouldn't be able to share these two pics. 

Linda Nelson and George built one the first marine ornamental fish hatcheries in the world, using their water straight from the ground. They had hired some guys with previous experience, having worked at fish farms on the coast. Those employees did the actual work to get the Clownfish to breed and to raise the larvae and fry. Linda then brought in VP's from the hobbyist companies, like Instant Ocean, to try to persuade the big companies to fund their work. Unfortunately the cost of breeding was more than what they could get on the wholesale market. Clownfish brought in from the wild were only $2-3 each back in those days. Shocked 

Man, those were exciting times for a passionate hobbyist like me. Big smile

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

This 75 gal tank (1996-2002) even had the very first pieces of Utah Rock. 

Above: left side
Blelow: right side

Wrogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2017 at 9:59pm
Very nice !!
kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 11:14am
any update on this??
Aloha007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aloha007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 1:52pm
Hi !

Yes , Only 4 clownfish made it completely through. They are now happy and healthy and eating brine
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 9:56am
Congrats Party
kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 11:54am
How cool!  Someday I'd love to give this a shot.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic