Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Identify this snail

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Identify this snail
    Posted: September 19 2005 at 11:55pm

I have two of them, they live down in the sand, and they are really fast for a snail, but I can't remember their name.

335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2005 at 12:00am
The trunk makes me think nassarius snail but mine don't have the "fins" on the back.  Does it have a membrane that encompass the shell?  Maybe some type of conch.
phuntsman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phuntsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2005 at 12:52am

I think Eric had them in a couple of weeks ago and I picked a couple up, I am going off memory and I think they were a dove snail or a dovey, I could be totally off base but that is what is sticking in my head.

Preston

Preston, Coral Springs FL
180 Reef, SPS Addict
rstruhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstruhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2005 at 12:54am
I think it is a Nassarius (I probably have the spelling wrong though!), unless the end of the foot has a "dovetail" shape, then it is a dovetail.
Rodney, Sandra, Jeffery, and Laura Struhs
South Jordan, Utah 98th South & 40th West.
(801) 282-2744

75 gallon reef
55 gallon reef
55 gallon FOWLR
20 gallon FOWLR
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2005 at 12:56am

Dove Tail Nassarias.

Search on that and you find it's scientific name and more info.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
fj40fax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fj40fax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2005 at 10:21am

Funny I just saw one in my tank last night.  At first I thought it was a nudi, but I tapped it's back and it def has a shell.  Mine was just eating on some LR.

Fax

Fax 318-3632
90g 2x250W 14kK MH
Sump, Fuge, G3, UV, O3, ACIII
Pleasant Grove, UT Across State Street from the Purple Turtle
Adjustments and Massages for Frags!
adzmcss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adzmcss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 11:09pm
i have one in my tank too but i never bought one. do you think it came with the LR?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2005 at 1:12am
Originally posted by fj40fax fj40fax wrote:

At first I thought it was a nudi, but I tapped it's back and it def has a shell. 
This statement tells me that the one you saw was a different snail than the one pictured above. Notice the tip of the shell on the left side. The one you thought was a Nudibranch is actually a Stomatella Snail. They are all over and  easily reproduce in many hobbyist tanks. I probably misspelled the name, but it looks like a garden slug and has a small sheild kind of thing, a poor excuse for a shell, definitly not a home, more like a piece of cardboard to keep off the rain. Sorry it's getting late and I'm rambling incoherently.

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic