Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Filter sock or not to filter sock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Boxfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Filter sock or not to filter sock
    Posted: March 30 2017 at 9:17pm
Thoughts on this. Do you use socks or not and why.
I use them now nd its always just change change change, yea Im lazy. Do we need them?
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2017 at 10:18pm
They polish the water and keep detritus from deposited and building up in your sump. They also pull excess food and debris from the water before they break down and potentially increase nitrates.

I run them but have enough that I don't have to change them but every 3rd day. I know people that don't run them and do fine as well. If I choose not to run them it's easy enough to just remove them as well.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Boxfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2017 at 10:48pm
Oh I've been running them for years. I'm just tired of it 😆 lazy I guess and I don't change them when I should do is probably like running with out them.
kevski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2017 at 11:50pm
Not sure why I'm so different?? I use 1 of the 7"!diam socks on my 100 g. I change mine out when the water in the sock starts rising above the water ilevel of the chamber it's sitting in. That is about every 7 - 10 days. I don't mind it at that frequency. I use a Mag 9.5 return pump running fully open, so a pretty decent flow through the sock.
100 G Mixed Reef / AI Hydra 52 HD-T5 Hybrid
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2017 at 6:08am
Ya I get tired of changing them as well. I have an apex on my tank and I added some float switches to my sump so that i get nagging emails when I don't change them often enough. My sump holds 3 - 4" short socks and I have to change them every third day.

I run a dct-12000 return pump running at 100% and my flow sensor tells me that I'm getting ~700gph to my tank and through my sump.  You would think it would be more than that on a pump rated at double that but it's not.

I think people would be surprised at how little flow they are getting from their return pumps.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2017 at 6:18am
I use 2- 7 inch socks and change them 2-3 times a week.  It helps keep my equipment clean and like Krazie said, it helps a lot on detritus build up in the sump.  I do, however HATE washing them, so the last 6 months, I just started throwing them away and buying them in bulk.  
kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2017 at 7:21am
With so many things in this hobby, I'm not sure if it matters.  I've seen killer tanks with/without filter socks.  

I guess the question is-do you mind cleaning your sump every now and then?
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2017 at 8:07am
I do not run any socks on any of my systems simply because I do not want to deal with cleaning them. Once a month I siphon out any ditritus from my sump and call it good.
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2017 at 9:27am
I love them, just be sure to change them every couple days.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2017 at 4:20pm
If the area around the socks are hard to clean detritus from, i'd say keep them. I've seen a few sump designs that make it hard to clean that particular chamber. They help keep the big stuff from accumulating like was said earlier but also helps get the stuff that would accumulate around your skimmer that wouldn't normally be picked up by it. If you change them often enough, it helps keep the phosphates and nitrates in check a little easier by removing the crud that decays into these. If you don't, they become another place for the crud to decay. Also, I've noticed when the detritus collects for a long time in your sump and you can see a significant layer, people start having problems with their nitrates and phosphates and then start having issues with their corals and fish. So having them keeps this to a minimum.

Edited by phys - March 31 2017 at 4:21pm
Boxfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2017 at 5:25pm
 Well Im going to try with out them for a time and see. I read a post somewhere where a guy put a decent sized pump in his sump and every night at 10pm it turned on for 10 minutes and blew everything up so it flows back into the tank and doesnt stay at the bottom of the sump.

Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2017 at 10:22pm
I run 100 micron socks and prefer the crystal clear water with no floaties, personal preference I'm sure but having control over nutrients building up in the sump is also another reason I run socks.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2017 at 1:40am
That is one idea but just be aware that detritus can accumulate in your acros and start to smother it. So you'll have to be sure to blow them off if they do.
xheliBIGZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xheliBIGZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2017 at 3:48pm
Been using them for three years with zero issues. I really like how clean they keep the back of my all in one SR80. Some think they are nitrate traps. I wish because I have to dose nitrates.
Boxfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2017 at 5:16pm
Well so far I love it. No issues and no junk build up yet.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2017 at 7:45pm
Rebel

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2017 at 5:13pm
I don't use them. I keep things as simple as possible. I like the results.
Boxfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2017 at 5:26pm
Ahhh a fellow supporter Thumbs Up
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2017 at 5:38pm
I feed so much that if I didn't use socks the detritus build up would be tremendous in my sump. When I do my weekly tank chores I do pull the sock and let it run open for as long as it takes to do all 4 tank wc, water.testing, cleaning skimmers, etc. Not sure it does much.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic