Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is this lace rock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is this lace rock
    Posted: February 15 2017 at 6:40pm
Just wanted to see if this is lace rock, if it is I won't plan on putting it in my tank. I bought an anemone that it came on and I just broke the smallest piece I could with it on it until I find out if it's lace rock...

Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Churchtown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Churchtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 7:02pm
I'm no pro, but yea it has a sinister lace look to it
150 tall, lots of sps. Therapy for a troubled mind
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by Churchtown Churchtown wrote:

I'm no pro, but yea it has a sinister lace look to it

lol yeah and it was really hard to break off unlike most rock we use in saltwater that is fairly easy to break using a flat screwdriver and hammer. Now I just need to coax the anemone off the small piece I had to break off
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 9:43pm
I think it is, I'd use it.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 7:03am
It is lace rock. However, it has clearly been in a saltwater tank for some time. If there was anything in it that was going to leach out it would have done it by now.

So if you're asking if it's safe to use the answer is yes.

If you're asking should you buy new lace rock and use it in your reef? I would answer that you shouldn't put unproven and uncured rock of any type into a tank that you want to be fairly trouble free. Lace rock, although not as porous as the aragonite type rock normally used in reefing, is generally safe to use in a reek. Lace rock is volcanic  rock and there are thousands and thousands of volcano's building new lace rock into the ocean every day. The entire chain of Hawaiian islands is built on lace rock and has beautiful reefs. I would just make sure and cure new lace rock for a few months before using it.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 12:20pm
I'm with Adam. I'd use it. Look at the extensive Coralline algae coverage!

I recently helped a hobbyist acquire an RBTA. It was on a small LR. Within 24 hours of going into his tank, it moved off it's rock, but the LR was kinda nice looking, so it's become part of the aquascaping. Smile

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 12:30pm
Use it, if it starts to get hair algae on it and nowhere else in the tank. You know it leaching stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic