Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sand

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
zland1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zland1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sand
    Posted: September 16 2005 at 9:00pm

Hello, I just move to UT and im setting my tank up in the coming weeks.  it was a 50g tank and magically turned in to a 150g tank during the move.  Since most of UT used to be the sea. is their a place to get sand, i think i need about 230 - 300pounds worth. If their is what does it look like, does it turn in to live sand if seeded. Last question if their is not do any of the home depots or lowes sell the south town sand (or something like that) thank you Joe

MBX5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBX5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2005 at 9:32pm
Search for (Utah Oolitic sand)
No southdown that I know of but you don't need it with all the Oolitic
sand. You can also get rock I'm sure Mark or others will post to you also.

Edited by MBX5

Joe Barnas
Westminster, CO
gshipley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshipley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2005 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by zland1 zland1 wrote:

Hello, I just move to UT and im setting my tank up in the coming weeks.  it was a 50g tank and magically turned in to a 150g tank during the move.  Since most of UT used to be the sea. is their a place to get sand, i think i need about 230 - 300pounds worth. If their is what does it look like, does it turn in to live sand if seeded. Last question if their is not do any of the home depots or lowes sell the south town sand (or something like that) thank you Joe

Welcome to wonder weird place we call Utah.  What part did you move to?

Payson UT
55 Reef Est Aug 2003
120g Reef Est June 2005
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2005 at 10:05pm

Joe, Welcome to the great state of Utah. Do you live near Bountiful?

I have Utah rock and sand, though not quite enough for a magical 150 gal.   

I can give directions to collect it yourself, if you don't find the directions in a thread here. Four 5 gal. buckets could be enough sand for the tank, but I'd get one more bucket for the Refugium. 

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2005 at 8:18am
Welcome to Utah and our club! I have a few buckets of Coralifes Reef
grade sand I would like to sell...if you are in the south side of the valley.
I'm in Riverton.
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2005 at 12:01pm
If you still need sand I have 2 buckets of Utah Oolitic that has already been sifted and rinsed.  I simply didn't need as much for my tank as I collected.  I'd be happy to give it to you.  Or as Mark said you could go get your own.  We last collected it on Stansbury Island in the Great Salt Lake, but I'd bet there are other locations.  As others have said Mark is the best contact for directions.
zland1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zland1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2005 at 9:19pm

Hello all. i moved to Eagle Mountain  ill have to get a map out because i have no clue where the rest of the places are as of now.

Wsinbad1 i would like to get the sand if you live close by.

Suzy how much are you selling the sand for?

i want to make a 4"-5" SB and i have 1 5gal bucket of sand form my old tank how much more do you thing i will need?, also my sand has been in the bucket sealed for about a month its wet still do you thing it would be alive?

Thank you all for your help      Joe

bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2005 at 10:17pm
try www.maps.google.com or http://earth.google.com/

pretty good at directions to.

Brian
ltanner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ltanner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2005 at 10:29pm

Welcome!  I'm in Eagle Mountain, too (the Ranches, to be exact).  If you need help finding out where all of these places are, feel free to PM me and I'll help you out.  We're kind of in the middle of nowhere out here, so there really isn't anywhere that's right down the road.

Also, try www.mapquest.com for driving directions, if you don't have high speed for google earth.

Laura
Orem
29 gal reef
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2005 at 9:17am
I am jealous of you guys! Rob and i were going to move to Eagle Mt when
our kids moved out, then they did and we remodeled instead! I think that
is going to be a wonderful place to live! Clean air is not over rated!

For those unfamiliar, this little planned community is on the other side of
the mt, behind Lehi, right? Sorta protected from the "inversions" we are so
lucky to be blessed with every winter!

Joe, I just went and looked and I don't have as much as I thought. There
is about half a bucket left and you can have it.

Our city is easy to find from your city. I don't know the name of the
major street that you use to get to Tooele and the 1-15, but you leave
your community on that street, head east to Redwood. On redwood, you
head north till you pass Bangeter Highway. You are then in the lovely city
of Riverton!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2005 at 3:11pm

Originally posted by zland1 zland1 wrote:

i want to make a 4"-5" SB and i have 1 5gal bucket of sand form my old tank how much more do you thing i will need?,

also my sand has been in the bucket sealed for about a month its wet still do you thing it would be alive?

You can figure out how many gallons of sand you need with this calculation:  desired depth in inches X tank length in inches X tank width in inches / 231 ( L x W x H / 231 will give the total gallons capacity of an aquarium)

The LS in the buckests is not good. The good life in the sand suffocated when you put it in a bucket and sealed the lid. If you had placed it in a tub at a depth of 6" or less, covered with an inch of saltwater, or more water with a powerhead, and kept it between 65 and 80 degrees, it would have been fine to use. As it is now, it will need to be rinsed well in freshwater before you can use it again.

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic