Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Algae help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SFReef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SFReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Algae help
    Posted: February 04 2017 at 1:27pm
I have had an algae problem with grape caulerpa overrunning my tank. I have done lots of water changes and pulled most out. The brown algae you can see took over then and is clearing up some. Now I have this algae. Can anyone tell me what it is or how to get rid of it?

1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 1:31pm
It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like i might be bubble algae?

In my opinion the way to beat any algae problem is the same. Reduce the source of the nutrients, feed less, skim heavier... Also adding algae to the sump (if you have one) will help reduce the available nutrients, let that algae grow someplace else!
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 1:37pm
I agree, it is hard to tell from this picture. It looks like air bubbles are forming from some kind of cyano or slime algae. I've found increasing water flow can help clear this up as does growing some kind of macro algae in your sump/refugium. I prefer chaeto as do most I believe.
60g LPS Cube
Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 1:39pm
If it's bubble algae try an emerald crab!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 2:17pm
Okay first, the Caulerpa overran the tank because it was eating up lots of excess nutrients that the biofiltration capacity of LS and LR was not able to handle. 

Second, ripping out the overgrown Caulerpa opened up the opportunity for other algae.

This new stuff looks like Cyanobacteria and now it's taking up the slack, eating the excess nutrients.
So this is a tank with too high nutrients for the available biofiltration.

If the root of the problem isn't found, like why is there so much nutrient/pollution, anything we suggest might only be a band-aid. Can you post a pic of the tank and tell us a little more about the it? More info will help us help you:
tank size,
how long it's been set up,
what rock was used, 
how many fish, 
fish feeding, and 
what the Alk and Ca levels are.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 3:07pm
The red looking stuff could be gelidium or cyanobacteria. I have always been against chemicals, but Chemiclean rid my tank of gelidium in the past.
SFReef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SFReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 8:27pm
Thank you for all the responses and help. I know what the problem was for the grape caulerpa and the brown stuff (which I am sure is cyanobacteria). Those are clearing up with more water changes and decreased feedings. This new algae showed up, though, and that is what I am wondering about. I know it isn't a great picture but it is not bubble algae either. The heads have almost a mushroom shape and are about a quarter to half inch in diameter. Any ideas?

Thank you

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 8:39pm
Try looking up teacup algae (Acetabularia)
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 8:56pm
No way that's acetabularia,I pay money for that, so send it to me.
Agree with Mark above.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 10:02pm
people also pay for grape caulerpa
SFReef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SFReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2017 at 6:11am
Not sure. It could be that. I took some out so I could get a better picture. Maybe this will help?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2017 at 8:05am
Ahhh, yes. That is the same Caulerpa that has been growing in one of my systems for the last 3 years. Along side this algae in that system also grows C. prolifera and C. mexicana. 
Adam and I are pretty crazy about algae. 
The weird thing about this Caulerpa is that it can actually change shape according to conditions. I believe it is scientifically designated C. racemosa. It can grow as cups or balls.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2017 at 8:58am
That algae would still be very beneficial if you put it in your sump... If you really dont want it I will take some of your hands.
SFReef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SFReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2017 at 5:28am
I think this will go in the sump then. Thank you all very much for your help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic