Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Neptune Systems Insider

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Neptune Systems Insider
    Posted: January 12 2017 at 9:54pm
I know there are a couple of us in the club that have signed up and are getting access to some of the NSI features. I think it would be great to have a place to discuss the new stuff that is being worked on as we are allowed to do it in a public forum. Anyone else game?
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2017 at 1:48am
I don't have one but it would be good to know what's out there if I ever get into one.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2017 at 5:56am
Paul There is already tons of information on this forum and many others about the stuff that is available for the apex. The Neptune Systems Insider  program is Neptune's version of a beta test for new features and new modules. So this discussion would be about the latest and greatest things coming for the apex line and probably a little before the stuff is available to the general public.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
theresawhite View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theresawhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2017 at 8:16am
Dave and I are not part of the beta testing; however, we would be very interested to hear what people think who are part of it.  It would also be great to hear about the new features that will be coming soon.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2017 at 8:48am
Well the first update I was a part of was an update to fusion. Here is a short list of the updates.

New Heartbeat feature (get notifications if your apex is no longer connected to fusion)
Quick entry of test measurements (one button click to add feature)
Default test kit settings (choose what the default test kits you use are so you don't have to select it each time)
Updated graphing for input data (brings back some of the features that were changed in the last update)
Feature tours (quick pop-up descriptions the first time you use an apex feature)

I think that is the ones so far. I'll go double check and see if I missed any.

The next one is a new piece of hardware but so far we can't talk about it.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2017 at 8:51am
Originally posted by Krazie4Acans Krazie4Acans wrote:

Well the first update I was a part of was an update to fusion. Here is a short list of the updates.

New Heartbeat feature (get notifications if your apex is no longer connected to fusion)
Quick entry of test measurements (one button click to add feature)
Default test kit settings (choose what the default test kits you use are so you don't have to select it each time)
Updated graphing for input data (brings back some of the features that were changed in the last update)
Feature tours (quick pop-up descriptions the first time you use an apex feature)

I think that is the ones so far. I'll go double check and see if I missed any.

The next one is a new piece of hardware but so far we can't talk about it.

Funny the heartbeat one was promised when fusion first game out.  Feature tour is nice though.  

Would love to see further posts!
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2017 at 9:27am
They have had the the connected not connected information since day one but this actual notifications being sent from fusion if it can't communicate with your apex for a period of time.

I'll be updating with info on the projects I get accepted for. Not everyone gets to work on every new project so if others that are included can add for those that would give us an awesome big picture look at all the new stuff.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 1:24pm
So I've had the next beta stuff for a while and am just getting around to installing them on my tank. This one is a new module called the Flow Monitoring Module (FMM). This module has some interesting options. It has 4 sensor ports, an auxiliary port, and a power port.  The sensor ports support either a flow sensor, upcoming optical level sensor or a leak detection sensor. The aux port is designed for some 24v apex accessories like a solenoid valve or ato pump. I opted for 4 flow sensors. A 1", 2 - 1/2" and a 1/4". These will monitor my return flow to the tank, my carbon and GFO reactors, and my sulfur denitrator. My only issue has been that Neptune made the decision to go with BSP threaded parts instead of NPT which is what we can buy around here. This has made it a challenge to get it plumbed in but I finally got it done. Here is three of the sensors installed on my manifold.

My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 9:52pm
It's very interesting to see the numbers on these sensors. I was sure I was putting about 150gph through my carbon reactor. Let's just say it's not even 50.

My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2017 at 11:05am
It's been a super long road trying to figure out how I was going to fit the final sensor into my existing plumbing. I finally found something that would work and got it in place yesterday. It's working well but I have a couple of observations that I thought were important to note.

My setup uses a modified Durso drain setup. It's probably closer to Herbie than Durso. So the main drain is fully submersed in the overflow and there is no air line. There is a gate valve to control the amount of flow. There is a single emergency drain as well. I also run a DC return pump. The return plumbing is all 1" PVC and there are no 90 degree elbows except where the locline is connected at the end of the pipe. Everything is 45's to that point. So here is what I observed.

Prior to installing the 1" flow sensor (on 1" PVC) my return pump was running at 80% and that included the items running on my manifold. It's been running at this setting for 8 months with no adjustment.

After installing the sensor, on a straight run of pipe using only one of the unions that came with the sensor and connecting the other side directly to a true union ball valve that was already on the system, and making no other changes there was not nearly enough flow from the return to keep the main drain under water so the siphon could start.It was just sucking air into the drain. So without adjusting the gate valve I just turned the return pump up to 90%. That helped but the level in the overflow still wasn't at the original level and the drain was still sucking air in periodically as it was creating a vortex in the overflow above the drain pipe. So I turned the pump up to 100%. This raised the level in the overflow enough that I wasn't sucking air anymore but still was not maintaining the water level in the overflow at it's original height. The only way I could get back to where I was running before was to close the gate valve slightly and still run the pump at 100%.

This clearly shows that there is some flow reduction with the sensor even with minimal additional pieces used in plumbing it in. So take this into consideration. Obviously those without a controllable DC pump or a pump that is dialed back with a ball valve may not have the ability to return the flow back to where it was before installing the flow sensor.

The good news is that I totally over sized the return pump on my 90 gallon tank so that even with the drop from the flow sensor and all the plumbing I am still getting 700gph from the return through the 1" pipe. I do believe I have another plumbing job in my near future to replace all of the 1" return plumbing with 1.5" or 2" (pump is 1.5") and get rid of the last 90 degree elbows from the plumbing.

My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 3:32pm
Well I haven't been very good about keeping up on this thread. I have been involved in several NSI projects since the FMM that started this thread. I guess I better step up my game and catch the thread up.

I'll do that over the next month or so.

The latest NSI going on is the long awaited Neptune Trident water testing module. I was lucky enough to be selected to be part of the NSI for this product (honestly this device is the reason I signed up for the NSI program and have been active in the other proiducts). I can't say much about the unit at the moment but I will fill in the details about it when I can.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
backwards32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2019 at 11:14am
following. this will be a game changer
Fish Food Direct
Great Food for half the price
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2019 at 2:35pm
I recieved the shipping confirmation. Friday is going to be an interesting day at my house.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2019 at 2:59pm
Well Friday turned into a major mess. The shipping address got typed in one digit off from the correct one, the delivery driver wouldn't take it across the street from the empty lot on the label to my address and reported a bad address. I called Neptune and they had the correct address in the system and the driver was notified in less than 10 minutes. Let's just say that not only did the driver not come back but I wasn't informed that it was back at the FedEx wharehouse at 3:30 and I could have driven to pick it up. Anyway Christmas was definitely delayed...   Until this morning.

The first set of actual tests is running right now.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2019 at 9:01pm
A few hiccups getting my trident going but finally today success! I knew alk was low because well I haven't tested in a long time or done anything to keep it up. Now I can focus on just doing some dosing.

Let the fun begin!

Edited by Krazie4Acans - January 28 2019 at 9:01pm
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2019 at 9:36pm
Just to keep the heart attacks from happening. These units were shipped out with out a calibration on them and we were asked to run them like that and not focus on the numbers as much as the trends. We will be calibrating them at a later point. lol
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2019 at 9:09am
So exciting. Maybe I should not follow this cause I will start feeling like i need it. 
Scottyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2019 at 2:26pm
Very cool, I hope they work out. I am going to need investing in an Apex soon!
kini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2019 at 4:03pm
Super cool, excited to follow this
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2019 at 6:54pm
After the initial hiccups the unit seems to be running great now. I've been doing some intentional dosing at specific times to see the effects and to see how sensitive the test is.

I'll post more as time goes on with more screen shots and explanations.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic