Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

anyone have any experience drilling glass?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
backwards32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: anyone have any experience drilling glass?
    Posted: December 14 2016 at 4:07pm
I need to drill a hole in my sump but i have never drilled a hole in glass before and would rather not crack the tank in the process haha. If anyone could offer some help that would be great.
Fish Food Direct
Great Food for half the price
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime
stegen420 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stegen420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2017 at 2:32pm
not hard just make sure you us a diamond tipped hole saw drilled mine this week end turned out nice
Tw!tch321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tw!tch321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 2:15am
Also make sure that the glass your drilling is not tempered glass.  For the most part only the bottom of aquariums are tempered glass but every once in a while you will get a tank with it also used on the sides and not labeled (like I found out while drilling this morning)  other wise it will just spider shatter.  
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 12:31pm
Take your time and let the drill do the work. Don't push at all. In order to hold the drill still I used a sample of LVP flooring and taped it to the glass. You should keep the the bit cool by running water on it. Another option is to have some plumbers putty and make a little dam to hold water. Finally, make sure you have a towel or something under the hole you want to cut so you don't chip the glass when the cutout falls through. Or you could ask a local fish store to do it. I had aquatic dreams drill a few for me several years back and it cost me about as much as the bit would cost me. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic