Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

January Meeting - FragFest

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jdinchak View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: January Meeting - FragFest
    Posted: December 13 2016 at 9:30am

It's BACK!  FragFest returns to start the year right. 

Join us Thursday, January 5th at 7pm at the Rose Garden Building for our January FragFest. 

1/5 at 7pm
Rose Garden Building 
Sugar House Park
1601 East 2100 South
Salt Lake City, UT

We will have all kinds of fantastic coral frags for sale as well as some beautiful colonies in our auction tank.  We are doing things a bit different this year. 

We will be Fragging the coral at A Reef Oasis the week of 12/26 to give them extra time to heal and to get pictures out of each coral we are bringing.  Keep an eye out for updates if you are interested in assisting.  You will be able to visit A Reef Oasis at any time after they are fragged and take a look. 

We are also doing something different this time as well, we will have all corals in frag tanks.  We will have 3 frag tanks

• 1 - $10 dollar tank ($5 if you are a paid member).  All corals in this tank will be just $10 dollars.
  • 1 - $20dollar tank ($10 if you are a paid member).  All corals in this tank will be just $20 dollars.
  • 1 - $30 dollar tank ($15 if you are a paid member).  All corals in this tank will be just $30 dollars.

We will have Presidency helping to bag up your selections.  We will form a line and you can pick a coral from whatever tank you like and then get back in line for another coral. 

We think this will be a lot of fun and gives you a better chance to see the coral you want to get. 

As always we will have our auction colonies that you can bid on. 

If you donate a coral to the Fragfest you will get a 2 min head start!  Donations are appreciated. 

You can also get your Banquet tickets here as well (this meeting will be last chance to get at discounted price, the price will go up shortly after). 

As always we will have snacks and drinks!

See you in January!

Edited by jdinchak - January 03 2017 at 10:26pm
FragStock (11/2)

Reef Tour (11/4)
jdinchak View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2016 at 11:49am
We are making our order Monday/Tuesday of next week.  Let us know what you would like to see (within reason of course). 
FragStock (11/2)

Reef Tour (11/4)
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2016 at 1:34pm
Blasto, acans, zoa/palys, fish as they seem to do well.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
sleepingdeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2016 at 2:03pm
any sort of LPS.. every frag fest ive been to before is always 90% zoas and sticks..
paul.brandon83 View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul.brandon83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2016 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by sleepingdeep sleepingdeep wrote:

any sort of LPS.. every frag fest ive been to before is always 90% zoas and sticks..

+1
150 Gallon Reef
jdinchak View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2016 at 5:11pm
Corals are ordered, we should them soon.  Once we have done fragging we will post pictures of the mother colony and the frag! 
FragStock (11/2)

Reef Tour (11/4)
jdinchak View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2016 at 8:54am
Reminder - you can get 2017 Banquet tickets at this meeting! 
FragStock (11/2)

Reef Tour (11/4)
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2016 at 11:02pm
Is anyone curious about what kind of items they can find at the frag fest next week? How about we give you a little sneak peek?

Or maybe you only want to see some of the items that will be in the auction? Well we have some of those as well.

And I certainly hope you don't think that is all of it! Some little bird told me that there are over 100 frags that will be available! Everything from Zoa's, candy cane, cup coral, montipora, favia, finger leather coral, Chalice, sps, Wellso, and Acanthophillia! There is surely something for everone!

Everything is fragged up and getting a week to heal before the event. I'm sure there will be more pictures of items that will be posted soon. Keep your eyes on this thread for more updates!

My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
jdinchak View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2017 at 11:04am
A Reef Oasis has all of our coral for FragFest.  Go check it out before the meeting.  Shaun also has some fantastic fish and coral you can take home if you don't want to wait. 

This is our first time doing this and we are excited to see how it goes. 

FragStock (11/2)

Reef Tour (11/4)
Hogie View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2017 at 9:44am
Some good looking pieces!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2017 at 9:15pm
Here are some updated and additional pics of the corals. The colors should be very close to true. Some of them are not as open as we would have liked but you should be able to get a better look at what there is going to be.

Aussie Torch

Blue Duncans

Blue Eye Favia

Blue Zoas

Branching Monti (unsure on true colors)

Bright Green Yuma

Golden Eye Chalice

Green Candy Canes

Green Hydnophora

Green Wellso

Red Speckled Chalice

Orange Yuma

Red Lava Chalice

Red Ring Acans

Red Robin Acropora

Yellow eye blue zoas

And there is more!
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
jdinchak View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2017 at 10:49pm
If this is your first FragFest or you have been to many before, with this new format I wanted to quickly go over how this event will go.

I can't stress enough, be on time!  It's to your benefit. 

We will do our normal announcements first and will review this as well.

1 - If you have a donation frag please give to Presidency member wearing a silver shirt.  They will give you a ticket that allows for early entrance.

2 - We will allow you to preview coral up until 7pm, after that we will close the viewing area.

3 - There will be 4 tanks:
  • 1 - Auction Tank (and some fish) and instructions on how to bid.
  • 1 - $10 dollar tank (all frags in this tank are $10 dollars)
  • 1 - $20 dollar tank (all frags in this tank are $20 dollars)
  • 1 - $30 dollar tank (all frags in this tank are $30 dollars)

We will have Presidency Members at each tank to help you bag your selection.  At each tank you will select your coral and once bagged and marked you can then go back to the end of the line (you can select whatever tank you want to get back in line). You can go to any line and any number of times but you do have to go to back once completed.  This helps ensure fairness and keeps it orderly.  We will have multiple Presidency helping members select and bag so the lines should move pretty fast. 

Once you are done selecting coral you will proceed to the front of the room and one of our friendly Presidency members will total up your purchases and check you out.  At this time if you aren't a 2017 Paid Member you can purchase your membership ($26 for the entire year - in most cases the paid membership pays for it's self) to get 50% off all $10, $20 and $30 dollar marked coral.  You can also purchase any auction coral you get (auction coral and fish are not 50% off)

You can also purchase Banquet Tickets.  Prices will go up shortly after this meeting.

We accept debit/credit cards and cash. 

FragStock (11/2)

Reef Tour (11/4)
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2017 at 8:08am
The best the corals at our frag fest have ever looked. Now T minus 33 hours and counting. Been working on the wife that I have 3 spots in the tank that need filling in.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
jdinchak View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2017 at 9:22am
We are like the postal service - rain, snow or sunshine the meeting will go on.  Have a great day everyone.  See you tonight!
FragStock (11/2)

Reef Tour (11/4)
bmac2 View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 9:08am
enjoyed the meeting, glad to finally make a meeting again, which in talking with Bob realized it had been about 2 years since my wife and I made it to a meeting.  Daughter's marriage, daughter buying a house, etc  (translate, all our money and time went to that for a year) and just life in general.  I will try to post some pics of the 300 gallon.  

Barry and Kristi
bmac2
Aquarium Creations 300 gallon tank
Stand by Dion
jdinchak View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 9:16am
Originally posted by bmac2 bmac2 wrote:

enjoyed the meeting, glad to finally make a meeting again, which in talking with Bob realized it had been about 2 years since my wife and I made it to a meeting.  Daughter's marriage, daughter buying a house, etc  (translate, all our money and time went to that for a year) and just life in general.  I will try to post some pics of the 300 gallon.  

Barry and Kristi
bmac2

I didn't realize it had been that long.  Glad to see you!

FragStock (11/2)

Reef Tour (11/4)
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 10:22am
It was good to see you again Barry. I had to do a double take when I saw you for sure. lol
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic